Logo

Sterndrive reassembly Alignment tool

wingman

I will soon be reinstalling my

I will soon be reinstalling my engine and sterndrive after a transom repair.

In the manual it talks about needing a special tool to properly align the engine and bell housing. I of course don't have one. Does anybody know a good way to do this with out the tool?

"There are others on this site

"There are others on this site more expert than I, but I think you really need this tool. It is inserted thru the gimbal bearing into the coupler to assure alignment of the gimbal bearing and the engine crankshaft.Otherwise you run the risk of misalignment load on the gimbal bearing, resulting in early failure.
If you are friendly with your dealer, you may be able to borrow theirs for a weekend or evening to do the job."

"Rod is correct,Try a parts de

"Rod is correct,Try a parts dealer, some times they will let you borrow it with just a deposit.. But if you DID NOT remove or move the motor mounts in any way and DID NOT mess with the flywheel and coupler and can align the same hole for the bolts you should be OK. BUT if you can not
EASLY install the outdrive DO NOT FORCE IT go get the alignment tool. If the motor came out because of a Gimble bearing replacement OR the coupler replacement go get the tool."

"Hey there,
If you have remov

"Hey there,
If you have removed the engine it needs to be aligned,checked with the alignment tool at the very least even if none of the mounts were disturbed. The alignment could have been off before you started.
You can buy this tool from amarket.com for about $60.00 and if you feel you do not need it after you're done you can return it. Of course there is a restocking fee. But for 60 bucks this is a tool worth having around if you plan on keeping the boat and doing you're own repairs.
Just one use will pay for it."

"Thanks Ya'll,

I was re

"Thanks Ya'll,

I was really hoping there was a home remedy I could use. But it sounds like that's not the case."

Back