Logo

892 Never say never

finatic

"Wanted to post my saga as enc

"Wanted to post my saga as encouragement to others who might find themselves in a similar situation. Several months ago the port engine (892TIB) in my 1984 52' Hatteras failed (connecting rod broke) while cruising at 1000 RPM's. The engine had approximately 1600 hours. I was skeptical when a friend told me to check my insuranc policy to see if I was covered for a mechanical failure due to an "inherant defect" and I was. I filed a claim not expecting much due to the age of the engine. After several months a metallurgist hired by the insurance company determined that the failure was caused by a burr on the drill bit used to drill oil ports in the connecting rod at the factory which caused a hairline crack tht gradually worked its way up the connecting rod until it broke and is considered an "inherant defect". The insurance has covered most of the cost of the removal, replacement, and re-install of my engine. So it always pays to give a claim a try even when the odds seem stacked against you!
happy.gif
"

Back