Logo

2006 vortec valve lash

baytro23

Regular Contributor
"set valve lash using firing o

"set valve lash using firing order method (rotate engine til intake lifter goes down) set to zero, then 1 full turn down. Now when engine is rotated various rockers will be slightly loose.

what's going on?????"

baytro23
Best to set them run

baytro23
Best to set them running at idle. Doing it static is hit and miss as some lifters may not be pumped up.
Bert

"Lifters bleed down slightly w

"Lifters bleed down slightly when there is no oil pressure and the valve is open with the spring putting pressure on the lifter. Best way to make sure valve is fully closed and you are not on the ramp is to adjust valve directly opposite in firing order from valve that is open. Adjust number one intake valve when you see number six is open, etc. I always adjust my valves before I put the intake manifold on. If you have to adjust valves on a hydraulic lifter engine after it has been run you have other problems. Many engines like 302 Ford have no adjustment, you simply bolt the rocker arms down. If you have been tightening them down you may have to back them all off a couple of turns, spin the engine long enough to get oil pressure, zero lash all the valves opposite of open valves working your way through all, then add your half to one turn preload. Allow them to sit for ten minutes or so to bleed down then start the engine."

"We did adjust the valves befo

"We did adjust the valves before the intake manifold went on. We started at #1 TDC and set both #1 valves. Then we rotated engine just past the point where #8 intake goes back down and set both #8 valves. Doing it this way has the next cylinder's intake valve open (in firing order) and we rotated just til that intake closed and set both valves for that cylinder. We then continued 4, 3, 6, 5, 7, 2. We could easily see the lifter bottom out before we adjusted. I may dump oil in and spin the oil pump (dist still off) and see if anything changes. This 2006 motor has 90 hours on it and was disassembled by previous owner after a boat fire that started in cabin. I bought the long block and could not see or smell any fire damage. He said the firemen sprayed the engine down pretty good and he wanted to make sure no water had gotten inside the engine."

"The roller lifters were never

"The roller lifters were never removed til I got the motor, I removed one at a time, assembly lubed them, put back in same way. They were sitting in the block with heads and oil pan removed so they had no pressure on them, only had a film of oil on them. Is it possible that after the lash is set and the engine is rotated (putting spring pressure on a lifter without oil pressure) that the lifter would not expand back to static lenght??? The rockers are not real loose but you can grab some of them and wiggle side to side, theres no lash though. Maybe everything will be fine with oil pressure????"

They will loosen up like you a

They will loosen up like you are talking about without oil pressure. Spin the oil pump with the distributer out until oil comes out into the rocker arms. You can adjust the valves with no oil in the lifters but you must be sure the plungers are not bottomed out when the valves are closed. They will bottom out when the valve is open and no oil in the lifter. In that case prime the pump then rotate engine and prime the pump again.

Back