Logo

Nissan 6HP Stainless Propeller

nondem

"I bought a new Nissan 6Hp 4 s

"I bought a new Nissan 6Hp 4 stroke a few weeks ago and just completed the 10 hour break-in. I've hit a couple of stumps and one rock already but always at well below half throttle or at idle speed. I have already ordered a replacement propeller($60). The original prop is still usable but vibrates slightly even after I took it off and spent some time with a rubber mallet. I intend to use this motor primarily in dark - stumpy and occasionally rocky waters so I'm wondering if anyone knows of a more durable prop option for this motor - or an accessory that might reduce my consumption of new props?

I'm overall very happy with the motors performance and economy(WOW!) but I bought this motor to replace a 1998 4HP Suzuki 2 stroke. It has a shear-pin and I hit MANY obstructions and busted lots of shear-pins but none of the impacts ever did any appreciable damage to the prop. In fact it still has the original prop on it and it's in fine shape. I actually considered the slip-hub type prop system a plus when deciding on a Nissan/Tohatsu over the equivalent Honda which has a shear pin system. The extra $1K didn't help the Honda either

I'm not finding any SS props for sale out there for this motor...I only found a few places that even had aluminum ones.

I appreciate any advice you guys might have."

"You could try a prop guard...

"You could try a prop guard...I'm not in love with them, but they will increase the service life of a prop. There is no alternative prop material for a small engine like yours and if there was...You wouldn't like the result. SS would destroy the gears in the lower unit and plastic would shatter from the impact."

"Thanks for the reply - I was

"Thanks for the reply - I was afraid of that. I also understand that a SS would just move the damage to another part of the motor. I have a 115 Mercury that I put a SS prop on. Now I bend the prop-shaft instead of damaging the propeller

At least with the 115 - the prop-shaft is cheaper than a new prop as long as I put in on myself
"

It's not as bad as it migh

It's not as bad as it might seem. I'm using the small motors on a lightweight jon-boat to access springs/caves here in N. Florida. I also live next to a lake(Talquin) that was a forest until they put in a dam - so it's loaded with stumps. I've noticed some folks in one of the more rocky rivers I've been on(Aucilla) are using a skeg attachment that makes it look like an upside down "T". I'll try to find one of those...

"In general, skeg guards will

"In general, skeg guards will not do anything as far as preventing damage to a propeller. I would suggest a PropGuard from www.propguard.com or any other dedicated propeller guard device."

"Hey Tohatsu Guru, on this sub

"Hey Tohatsu Guru, on this subject can you give a brief explanation on how that slip hub system works and pros and cons compared to the shear pin system..I have the 6hp Tohatsu..Thanks!"

"The propeller is actually thr

"The propeller is actually three separate pieces melded together:
Hub
Rubber
Outer wheel(the bladed section)

The rubber acts as a cushion with a small amount of give. This enables the prop to take very small impacts with out damage to the system. When X amount of impact occurs the rubber tears loose from the hub or wheel, again preventing damage to the wheel. Once the RPM slows the rubber will then bite back and allow you to limp home at low RPM where you would then put on a new prop(small engine) or have the propeller re-hubbed(large engine).

Stepping back into the time machine to the late 50's and early 60's virtually everything was shear pin driven. This was about the time that liability attorneys discovered that people who tried to change a shear pin in a heavy sea tended to drown. OB manufacturers decided that more expensive was less costly and hubbed propellers became the norm. The industry moved away from shear pins(except for the smallest of engines).

I am 100% in favor of hubbed props and do not think that the economic savings the shear pin type enjoy out weighs the potential cost in human life..."

Back