Logo

488 mercruiser electronic ignition

relic

I installed the electronic ign

I installed the electronic ignitor ignition and it will only run when the key is in the start position. When released to the run position it dies. I connected black to negative and red to positive on the coil.

"Ayuh,...

Somewhere along y

"Ayuh,...

Somewhere along your way, You knocked the Igntion wire out of it's circuit...

Try attaching your devise to the (-) side of the Coil..."

Me thinks you wired it wrong.

Me thinks you wired it wrong. Put all your wires back to the coil as you found them. Make sure your coil is putting out around 3 ohms. If not then you need a matching coil or ballast resistor. I just went with a new coil at $45 it was well worth the money. Then hardwire the ignitor to the coil red wire to pos (+) and black wire to neg (-). If you still have problems then you unplugged something else in the process.

According to the manufacturer

According to the manufacturer the mercruiser engines use a resistor that drops the voltage to the coil to about 5 volts. The electronic ignition requieres at least 8 volts. The resistor that drops the voltage is found in the electric choke and they recomended that a wire be run from the + side of the coil to the 12 volt side of the choke thus avoiding the resistor. I will let you know when I get time to do this to see it work. Cheers

Back