Logo

Water in cylinders

dawgs

Regular Contributor
i fill my radiator and the wat

i fill my radiator and the water runs right into my cylinders...why? whats blown?

Not knowing what engine or typ

Not knowing what engine or type of coolong system you have my best guess is that either the head gasket is blown or the block / head is cracked.

mercruiser 170...closed coolin

mercruiser 170...closed cooling system...how can you determine which problem it is?

Is it getting the same amount

Is it getting the same amount of water in all the cylinders or is it just one or two cylinders that are next to each other?
Most of the time if the block is cracked the water will just run into the oil pan not the cylinders.
Does the engine still run? If so does it build pressure in the cooling system?

when i take suck out the water

when i take suck out the water from the engine it seems to be in the 2 back cylinders and the exhause ports under the manifold...i dont know if thats because the boat is pitched that way (its trailered) or not....after all the water is out and its put back together...it runs fine then gets hot and the oil pressure is abot 50....and when i add water it just sucks it right up...if its just the head gasket is it possible the water runs right through even without the engine running?

Well it could I guess but it w

Well it could I guess but it would need to be a large gap for the water to flow into the cylinders as fast as you are pouring it in.
Is there any sign of water in the oil?

That's not a good sign.

That's not a good sign.
Are you able to do any or know how to work on this engine if I told you what needs done? Could you remove engine parts?

well after working on it the l

well after working on it the last 3 days....i feel as if i know everything about this engine.....try me

At this point the intake and e

At this point the intake and exhaust manifold need to be removed and inspected for cracks. I doubt this is the problem but one can always hope.
Take note of what bolts hold what and where you removed them from.
Pictures are good to have as you go along if you are not sure you can remember how things went. It's easy to get screwed up on these jobs.

Of course I have no idea of what happened before you got to this point of the water leaking but unless it was frozen my guess is it ran to hot.

I'm pretty sure that the block is cracked but it will not hurt to pull off the head and have a look. You may get lucky and have it turn out to be the head gasket.
When removing these parts take as little off as you can to get the part you need off.
Like you do not need at this time to remove all the rocker arms only if they are in the way of getting at the head bolts. You do not need to remove the carburetor from the intake ETC do you understand what I mean?

When removing the head if it does need to come off try and either leave the gasket on the engine or have it come off with the head. It will make it a lot easier to tell if the gasket is the cause if it is in one piece. Do not force anything. You may need to TAP the head with a hammer with a piece of wood held between the hammer and the head to break it loose. Do not hit the head with just the hammer.

This should get you started and I hope it is an easy fix. I need to take care of a few things at this time. Is the e-mail address you have listed a good address? It will be easier to do this by e-mail if that's ok.

yes the e-mail is good....char

yes the e-mail is good....charlii tell me if this makes sense? i spoke to someone about this problem and he believes since the water is being sucked up as quick as i can put it in. he thinks it may be the exhaust manifold rotted out.....is this possible? he says a crack or a blown head gasket will take a little longer for the water to seep through it

Well the problem with the exha

Well the problem with the exhaust manifold being the cause is the water can't get into the oil system from the exhaust manifold.
I agree with this person on the rate the water is getting taken into the system.
That is why I said there would have to be a large gap in the gasket.
There are only a few ways that water can get into the oil system. A cracked block between the water jacket and the oil system a cracked head where the water could enter the oil system a blown head gasket where the water can get into the oil system or a cracked intake but this is only on a V style engine where the water could leak in under the intake. There is no way the water can enter the oil system from the exhaust system. Not even through the pistons unless the engine has very worn piston rings and even then it would be a small amount.
I'm getting ready to leave in a short while. If I do not get back to you tonight I will tomorrow.

does this help? even without

does this help? even without the engine running...i add water to the radiator cap and it fills my back cylinder

"Well I'm a little stumped

"Well I'm a little stumped on that. What ever has broken must be between the head and cylinder or the cylinders and the water jacket. This is strange because the cylinder walls almost never crack just because they are round and that makes them stronger. I can't get a picture in my mind of how this can get in the cylinders so fast.
It's been many years since I've pulled one of these engines down so I'm have a hard time remembering just what the design is.
I will say that this is strange and wish I had a better answer for you. Give me a little time to research this and see if I can spot something in the manuals. Just let it go for now and let me see what I can find out.

Is any water filling the oil pan when you add it and if the spark plugs are removed will water come out the plug holes as you add it? Last,does the engine still turn over ok?"

i dont think the water is fill

i dont think the water is filling the oil pan...im not positive though....yes water will come out of the plug hole if i keep adding water...and last yes the engine turns over ok

Back