Logo

Oil pressuresenders

scott_duerring

Regular Contributor
"I have twin crusader 8.2 inbo

"I have twin crusader 8.2 inboards with FWC. I think I may have just a simple oil sender issue. The starboard engine pressure gauge will at times read no pressure when I start a cold engine, it will eventually read @ 40psi which is about what the port engine reads. After the engine warms up and I am idling, or trolling on the starboard engine the gauge will sometimes read very low...10-15psi. I never get any alarms nor does the engine ever show a code for low oil pressure.I have checked the oil level religiously and keep it at the required level. Am I correct in thinking it is a sending issue? Is is difficult to change out a sender?"

"Fisrt I do not know this engi

"Fisrt I do not know this engine but most sending units are not hard to change if you can get at them. Maybe 5 or 10 minutes to change one.
The senders these days do not seem to fail as much as the ones in the past.
It could very well be the sender but if you can,have the pressure checked with a mechanical test gauge to make sure you have the correct oil pressure.
No matter what engine it is low oil pressure is not good and if it is not the sender the cause needs to be found before something bad happens.

Please do not buy into the engine only needs 10psi at idle. There is a reason the pressure is going down if the gauge is correct.

As far a low pressure codes or warnings,some years back my 99 surburban lost oil pressure started knocking threw the rod out the side of the block and never even did as much as to turn the check engine light on.
There wasn't one code in the computer so I guess these systems do not always work as they should."

"I have a pair of 454s (19

"I have a pair of 454s (1996) with the opposite problem - that is, the oil guage on the starboard engine will erratically rise to an indicated 80 pounds, then settle back down to around 60. The port engine runs at a steady indicated 60 pounds. I run with 30 weight oil in both engines."

Back