Logo

2001 Yamaha 225 HP OX66 VIOLENT JERKING

south_paw

"I have a 2001 Yamaha 225 HP o

"I have a 2001 Yamaha 225 HP ox66 that a certified mechanic has given up on. He wants me to buy a new one! ???????? ONLY 600 hrs. checks out mechanically and compression checks. Motor jerks while on the water at higher rpms. Will quit and throw you forward and then in an instant will surge and throw you backward. This happens constantly at higher rpms and you really have to hold on to something or you will fly! I can get the boat on plane but barely and if I accelerate the bottom gives out. Mech says not a fuel supply problem because he checked fuel supply and pressures and used a seperate fuel tank. "It's an electrical problem". ??? I don't think he had pressure gauges hooked up while on the water. He keeps telling me I can't work on it any more I'm going to spend lots of money on a new wiring harness that Yamaha has told me to put in there and that might not fix it because the ECU computer might be bad. "Spend your money on a new motor." "This motor is the worst motor Yamaha has made in the last 15 years!" We changed the spark plugs of course.

Also motor overheats, especially during the summer when I shift from idle to low rpms often or if I idle too long. That's been going on for a while. Replaced impeller and stats. Mech claims I have corrosion/blockage in the upper motor.

My questions:

Is the 2001 225HP OX66 a dog like this mech is claiming?

Can't he scope out my wiring harness to see if it is bad? Especially if Yamaha is telling him to replace it.

Why guess that this is an electrical problem? Why not check the high pressure filter or VST filter? I think you can poke holes in them and see if there is blockage, motor should run.

How about the O2 sensor can that cause these symptoms?

Maybe it's time to get a 2nd opinion before even thinking about repowering. Anybody have ideas?

Thanks,

South Paw"

Did he clean the filter in the

Did he clean the filter in the VST tank and as the water flow i have seen the gromet on the waterpump to watertube get buggered up or misplaced and loose water pressure at idle

"I have the exact same motor -

"I have the exact same motor - it is GREAT motor - strong & reliable (for most people).

The most common thing on these is the low pressure fuel pumps - cheap and easy to fix. Your "cutting-out" problem sounds like it MIGHT be caused by that, but your mechanic would have to be a complete idiot to have missed that."

Back