Logo

Pricing on 40 four stroke

zackfactor

Regular Contributor
"a friend is looking into a us

"a friend is looking into a used 40 4 stroke 2001 to be exact. motor has 53 hours on it and is at the dealer getting brand bew carbs now, how much should he expect to pay?"

"How much should he expect to

"How much should he expect to pay and how much will the dealer want are two different answers.

The fact that it only has 53 hours on it and it's now 8 years old (model wise anyhow) tells me that it has sat neglected most of it's life. If the previous owner used it on average less than 7 hours a year, they probably didn't have it into the shop for all it's recommended service and there's a good chance that it still had it's original oil/filter on it along with the plugs, impeller and who know's what else.

If the dealer is willing to throw in a warranty in writing for at least 6 months, I may consider it's value at 800-1200 bucks - but even then I would probably shy away from the deal.

4 strokes are not like 2 strokes. You neglect a 2 stroke and it still runs for you - neglect a 4 stroke and you have a couple hundred pounds of scrap aluminum (which has taken a dive in price too lately)...

I would be very, very careful with this deal..."

"it is a dinghy on one of my c

"it is a dinghy on one of my customers boats, even though it is not used much the maintanance was kept up maticulisly my customer wants a 50 and wants to sell the old engine to a friend of mine"

"If you are fairly certain of

"If you are fairly certain of the origin, maintenance etc then it could well be a decent motor.

A new 40 horse is worth what? 4-5K for either a 4 stroke or a direct injected 2 stroke.

So what's a fair price? I still couldn't see it being worth more than 1500 very top end, but only if you personally can vouch for the history. But the fact that a 50 hour motor needs new carbs tells me at the very least the motor was not stored properly.

Just as a side note, going from a 40 to 50 horse is going to make very little difference in terms of performance (a couple more mph at best) - but hey, that's how decent used outboards come available on the market
"

Back