Logo

Mercruiser 30L Distributor

snowcruiser

"I had to replace my entire di

"I had to replace my entire distributor and am wondering how to identify the location of #1 on the distributor cap? It seems as though I can put the shaft in 180 degrees out and then I'm not sure where to start the firing order. I'm assuming that when I do find #1, I go in a clockwise order for the rest of the plugs?"

I've always put the distri

I've always put the distributor rotor on the end and made sure it was pointing toward the inside of the #1 plug wire socket on the cap. The cap should go on one way. Then place the number one wire on the cap and lay out your wires according to your firing order from there. Yes... you'll need to know clockwise or counter. Cant remember.

"Well I do remember which way

"Well I do remember which way the rotor was pointing, so that eliminates the chance of being 180 degrees out of sync; however, although the distributor cap only goes on one way, I have the ability to spin it all the way around and could make the #1 socket any one I wanted. Maybe that doesn't matter, but it seems it might based on the shaft indents and the points/timing."

rotor points toward number 1 p

rotor points toward number 1 plug besure number 1 is at top cead center and 0 timing mar

"rotor points toward number 1

"rotor points toward number 1 plug besure number 1 is at top cead center and 0 timing mark, number one wire on cap points exactly at #1 spark plug (hole)"

"Okay, I understand that the r

"Okay, I understand that the rotor points towards number 1 at 0 TDC. If you have a distributor with no wires on it yet, any of the four sockets could effectively become the one that I connect up to the #1 plug (which is where the rotor is pointing at 0 TDC). I'm wondering if there is a key to finding out which socket should be #1 based on the spin of the entire distributor."

Back