Logo

V8 water passages not used

baytro23

Regular Contributor
"On a 2006 Vortec for instance

"On a 2006 Vortec for instance, why are the 2 rear water passages on the intake manifold blocked off?"

"Water flows rearward through

"Water flows rearward through the block, up into the heads at the rear, then forward through the heads, enters the front of the intake and out through the thermostat. Some water passes up into the heads all along from the block but the primary flow is up at the rear then forward."

"Ayuh,...

It's pretty m

"Ayuh,...

It's pretty much the way SBCs have been plumbed since 1955..."

"Back when we ran Sat. night r

"Back when we ran Sat. night roundy round racing, we used to drill and tap the back water pass. and run hoses to the thermostat housing. The back ports would get hotter then the fronts. This way, you had cooler water flow to the back of the heads."

Thought I remembered that the

Thought I remembered that the Lt version of the small blocks used in early 90's and later vettes and passenger cars use a reverse cooling system....sending water to the heads first...I also remember there was a 4.3 with this configuration

"how about this one. the water

"how about this one. the water flows from the block, through the heads, and out through the thermostat. since there is a thermostat only at the front, there's not much point to a water passage at the rear. the reason there are passages in the rear of the heads is they fit both sides. S."

Back