Logo

1984 Mercruiser 260 Water in Engine

ecosiva

"Hello everyone, I am new to t

"Hello everyone, I am new to this site and to the boating world. I purchased my first boat, a 1984 26' Carver Monterey. I "knew" it needed work, engine mostly, the hull and interior are actually in good condition and just needs some tlc. My issue is with the engine. I have already replaced, the fuel pump & lines, new hoses, Exhaust gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, new wires and plugs. But there is still water getting in. Once I have gotten the water out, the engine runs strong and consistent. Once i turn it off, wait about 5 minutes and try to start it again, it just locks up. Again, taking the plugs out, and sure enough there is water. I am assuming that the head gaskets need replacing, my fear is it being more than just the gaskets. My question is: Would it be correct to assume that there is more damage, ie;cracked head, valve etc if when the water is removed, the engine runs like a dream, and it is only the gasket? Any information and input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks y'all!"

Problem may be a cracked exhau

Problem may be a cracked exhaust manifold allowing cooling water in thru the manifold jacket where it runs into the combustion chamber via exhaust valves.

"Ayuh,...

You need to isola

"Ayuh,...

You need to isolate,+ test the indiviual areas that Could be the problem...

Pull the Exhaust Manifolds,+ Test them...
Drain,+ Isolate the Block, by clamping hoses off, whatever it takes...
Pull all the sparkplugs,..
Then Pressurize the Cooling System with Air,+ Listen...
If it's a gasket or anything else in it, you'll Hear the air excaping,...
Just follow the sound...

It's Much too early in the diagnostics to speculate as to just What's AFU...

More Info about the Barge will Help too,...
Is this a Saltwater motor,..??"

"I am having the same problem

"I am having the same problem with my 1996 4.3l V6 engine. I found the #1 cylinder full of water and signes of water or some water in the other 5 cylinders. My list of possible problems is a cracked exhaust manifold, bad head gasket, cracked head, or cracked block. Which is the easiest to go after first and can eliminate any with a compression check or the fact that the oil is not milky?

I found water in 2 cylinders (on the other side of the engine) 2 years ago. I replaced the exhaust manifold and head gasket to fix the problem."

"[b]"Pull the Exhaust Mani

""Pull the Exhaust Manifolds,+ Test them...
Drain,+ Isolate the Block, by clamping hoses off, whatever it takes...
Pull all the sparkplugs,..
Then Pressurize the Cooling System with Air,+ Listen...
If it's a gasket or anything else in it, you'll Hear the air excaping,...
Just follow the sound...

It's Much too early in the diagnostics to speculate as to just What's AFU..."

Ayuh,... Same Answer David..."

Back