Logo

115 running rough

dward

Contributing Member
"I've got a pair of 04 115

"I've got a pair of 04 115 4-strokes on the back of a 26 foot Aqua Sport down on Marco Island at the family place. My family is from MN and as my dad passed away 3 years ago the boat doesn't get used as much as it did. I was down for 2 weeks over Christmas and the trip started well with the boat running well for the first couple trips.

The port engine started running poorly and as little as the boat is used I first thought it was fuel related so I changed and cleaned all the filters and the problem remained.

I called the mechanic out and he was certain it was fuel related so he checked the fuel pressure which was ok and proceeded to run a pressurized solution through the injectors and replaced the plugs and told me things were fixed.

When we took the boat out the next morning it did the same thing. It will idle fine and when you floor it, the port engine will only get to about 4000 rpms and then fall back to about 3000 and run rough. We took a shelling trip where I kept both motors at 2300 rpms and both motors purred for about 15 minutes before the port started fouling out. We continued on one engine, and when we returned about 2 hours later the port engine started and idled fine for a while.

I told the mechanic that I thought the problem might be electrical as it acted like a coil heating up and then shorting out, then after it cooled down again it would idle well for a while. The mechanic was convinced it was fuel related, and as we are in a no wake area we didn't take the boat out to test while he was there.

While it was running rough I pulled plug wires and isolated the problem to one cylinder at that time. The mechanic told me he had never encountered an electrical problem with this motor and that was his reasoning for targeting the fuel.

Any experiences/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks - Dan"

"find a new certified tech fir

"find a new certified tech first, he is baind-aiding it

look for gas in the oil
vst cleaned??"

"JIT

I think the tech was h

"JIT

I think the tech was hoping for a quick fix as we were in the short new years week and he had a bunch of other repairs to get to. And as the motor ran well at lower rpms in gear (abeit still tied off on the lift) after his treatment he thought he had it fixed. In researching the VST (I didn't know what it was) it appears the 115 VST is a bear to get to and I'm pretty sure he didn't do anything to it.

As I'm 1500 miles from the boat now I can't check the gas in oil, but when I checked oil level the oil appeared fine and at the right level.

I will say that the boat has a 100 main and a 25 auxiliary tank and with the limited running I'm pretty sure the 25 hasn't been used for a couple years. The main tank gauge started acting up and my brother in law (I wasn't in the boat) thought the main might be empty and swithched to the 25 and ran 10-15 gallons out. When I cleaned the main filters they were pretty bad with rusty looking gas and plenty of sediment flakes. This is why I thought there was good reason for a fuel problem.

I'll talk to the mechanic about the VSTs and see what he says. How much time should it take to clean the VST if that is the problem??

Thanks - Dan"

"York Road marine is the best

"York Road marine is the best i have found for yamaha 4 strokes. i have a pair of 40's there now and tom has went to great legnths to solve the problems they are having, give them a call 239-283-1149"

"JIT/or any other expert,

I

"JIT/or any other expert,

I've done enough research on this to think I can now talk semi-intelligently about this. I'm pretty sure the junk gas we ran out of our auxiliary tank plugged either the vst filter or an injector or both. When the mechanic tested the fuel pressure we either didn't have it up to enough rpms to show a reduction in pressure at the rail, or the plugged injector wasn't showing up.

As easy as it is to hook the pressure gauge up to the fuel rail, and as common as these ethanol gas related fuel problems seem to be, is there a gauge that you can buy to diagnose this yourself that doesn't cost an arm and a leg??

I can see one major problem in diagnosing what's wrong, is that when testing you have to get up to a high enough rpm to show a pressure drop if the vst filter is plugged. And with no wake zones being as long as they are it takes a while to get the boat to where you can really test it.

I wouldn't mind knowing what's wrong and fixing it myself. And as the 115s sound like it's a bear to get to the vst filter, it would be nice to know you needed to get there before diving in.

Thanks - Dan"

I have a final question about

I have a final question about cost as this has taken forever and I just got the final invoice. I paid the tech 300 for the bandaid that didn't work. I just got a bill for an additional 1800 which included (13.5hrs x $90 =$1215 labor) ($50 x 8 = $400 clean injectors) and balance in parts and tax.

My concern is that the tech tried to fix this piece meal and in the end did what JIT said needed to be done from the start. My question is simply how much should it have cost to remove VSTs and do it right from the start? How many hours approximately and is the injector cleaning charge reasonable?

I've got $2100 into this repair and feel like it might be a bit much.

Thanks

Back