Logo

Yamaha 8 hp 2 vs 4 Stroke Choice

sailjumanji

"I am shopping for a motor for

"I am shopping for a motor for an Avon 310 (10 ft) RIB. I want something that I can load on and off the dinghy from my cruising cat, that is not going to kill my back. The cost effective choice seems to be a 6 hp 4 stroke Tohatsu/Nissan/Mercury at 55 lbs, or an 8 hp 2 stroke Yamaha at 60 lbs. I have read a lot of disappointing posts regarding the real thrust and hp output of these small four strokes. I would rather have a clean burning engine, but is the Yamaha 8 hp 2 stroke going to give me much better performance? All will be new 2008/09 engines.

Mike

PS. My cruising cat has twin Yamaha 9.9 high thrust 4 stroke engines, and cleaning carbs is a multi times per year occurance to keep them running tip top. Will the 2 stroke Yamaha be more forgiving regarding fuel?"

If weight is the mafor issue t

If weight is the mafor issue then the decision is easy..go for the 2 stroke. The 2 stroke will have a higher top end speed too. I'm surprised with your 9.9 carb issues...I've owned a dozen of them over 23 years of guiding and never had to get into any carbs. Fuel pumps and t-stats have been problems.

"The 2 stroke Yami is a fantas

"The 2 stroke Yami is a fantastic engine and will take alot of neglect/abuse and still fire for ya.

And it's a twin cylinder. The single cylinder 4 stroke has one power stroke for every 720 degree's of rotation at the crank. What that means is, as soon as the "new" has worn off you have a motor that shakes worse than a wet dog in sub-zero weather no matter how well you keep it tuned.

Unless you have emissions requirements where you are running - go with the twin 2 stroke..."

Back