Logo

1979 Evinrude 99

gkm24

Regular Contributor
I have just aqcired a Evinrude

I have just aqcired a Evinrude 9.9 1979 engine with an Avon Rib. On inspection I found the earth wires on the coils to be loose and the wrong plugs fitted of which one was loose. after fitting the correct plugs and cleaning and tightening the coil earths I ran the engine on the boat for about 20 minutes. Initially power was very good but then did not like more than fast idle but the idle was still good with no stalling. On inspection under the cover it seems that some of the coil insulation had been dripping from the coils (a honey coloured toffee consistency goo) into the engine housing which was also present before I tried the engine. I thought that it was just due to the bad earth but now I feel that the coils are probably history although it starts and idles beautifully. Anyone had a similar experience or can offer any info? Many thanks.

Whoa... I wish I had as much t

Whoa... I wish I had as much time on my hands as this guy obviously has. Loads of great information though. I think that the earth leads which are attached to the coil side of the mounting bolts need to be attached to the engine block side of the coils to give a better earth. I will do this in the next 2 days and then run it in a tank and see what gives. Thanks for directing me to the site listed above.

"Just to double check, can any

"Just to double check, can anyone confirm my engine, Evinrude 9.9 109B62B is a 1979 before I go ordering parts. Thanks"

Was'nt too sure about the

Was'nt too sure about the bad earth theory so I pulled out the thermostat which was seized and filled with sand causing the head to get really hot. Will test run tomorrow and report back.

Back