Logo

Droopy drive

lender

"Bravo outdrive droops after s

"Bravo outdrive droops after sitting for couple weeks??? Seems to work OK up & down just drops when stored. Any suggestions???
proud.gif
"

"Is the reservior losing any f

"Is the reservior losing any fluid? If yes, check each hose connection. The OD should be stored in the down position."

The reverse lockout valve in t

The reverse lockout valve in the pump is not sealing allowing fluid to seep by.

Or one of the trim rams has a internal leak.

maybe it knows it is supposed

maybe it knows it is supposed to be stored in the down position to prevent stress on the bellows?

Storing it up or down has no a

Storing it up or down has no affect on much. Stored my outdrive in the up position and my bellows lasted 13 years that I am aware of.
purchased the 1987 boat in 1995 and replaced the bellows this year.

"In areas where you have freez

"In areas where you have freezing weather rain water can collect in the bottom of the drive if it is up, freeze and crack the housing. Same with outboard."

"Ayuh,...

Nothing will Dest

"Ayuh,...

Nothing will Destroy a lower unit Quicker than having it fill with Water,+ Freeze...
The exhaust cavity is Supposed to be self drainng, but usually Isn't..."

"Okay you butthead...just beca

"Okay you butthead...just because you state it emphatically doesn't make it true.

Per Mercury Marine:

"The universal joint bellows may develop a set when stored in a raised or up position, causing the bellows to fail when returned to service and allowing water to enter the boat. Store the sterndrive in the full down position"

Page 3 top half of the page of my manual
http://northamerica.mercurymarine.com/_media/pdfs/serviceandwarranty/sterndrive- models/Non-EC/90-899883180-Storage.pdf

There is probably some benefit to the hydraulic system by storing it in the down position, as there won't be pressure on the seals. Also some rodents like to chew on rubber. They can’t usually get at the rubber when the drive is down.

So do I listen to an anonymous guy who always seems to take the opposite opinion of most or do I listen to manufacturer of the motor……..?"

"Well I guess we all have opin

"Well I guess we all have opinions just like "butts".
Mine comes from direct experience. So my opinions are not oposite of the manufacturer just to be different.

I am not sure of your experience, and I am in no way disregarding the manufactures reccomendations.

Just so you know the roddents will and do climb in thru the prop and make nests and homes for the winter in the outdrive and exhaust, WHEN THE DRIVE IS DOWN!! They do not jump very well 2 + feet off the ground dont ya know!!
Also there is NO more pressure on the hydraulics when left in the up position then when down. the reason it stays up is due to a check valve (ball) in the up circut valving in the pump. So what ever pressure in in the lines stays. there is also a memory piston inside the rams that aides in the outdrive maintaining its positon. In theory if you hit something and the outdrive gets pushed up it will return to the position it was before hitting the object.

It is what it is and I express my opinions and they are what they are. If you do not like them disregard them."

Back