Logo

Gimbal housing studs

wblazer

Regular Contributor
"Hi,
I have a 1986 4.3 Alpha

"Hi,
I have a 1986 4.3 Alpha one. I noticed the two bottom studs on the gimbal housing are covered up with epoxy. No signs of water entering the boat. Do you think this is covering up a unknown problem. What holds these studs in place? What ideas can you give me.
Thanks"

Had the same thing on my Alpha

Had the same thing on my Alpha one. Everything was fine until the drive hit a submerged log which loosened the goop on the bottom bolts then started to leak water into boat. Turned out one of the bolts had completly corroded through and the goop had just been holding the bolt head in and making it watertight. They are aluminium bolts!!!

Thanks for your help John. Guy

Thanks for your help John. Guy your info answered my question. What I see is a wasted annode not epoxy. I will replace with new nuts. Thanks again for the help.

"John McGrath is right, they a

"John McGrath is right, they are aluminum and there are two anodes that are supposed to screw on to the two bottom studs. I just replaced them not to long ago. I would keep your eye on it though because any water that enters the holes where the bolts are can possibly enter the inner transom causing swelling and delamination causing a major transom repair job.
I just rebuilt my entire transom,reinstalled a 1988 alpha one gimbal housing and all the other things that you have to do in the process and I have to say this much (never again!) I hope (lol). I'll bet you ten bucks someone put epoxy on there because the aluminum bolt thread ends are probably eaten away to nothing making it impossible to fix properly without removing bolts from inner transom plate. Again, I might be wrong. If you choose that path make sure transom is given time to dry out where bolts were removed. Get two new bolts and annodes and buy yourself some 5200 marine sealant. Put plenty of it in holes and coat bolts liberally.
Wear rubber gloves, wipe with plenty of clean rags before it cures. Best of luck, Thomas McGee"

"Make sure you install the rub

"Make sure you install the rubber washer before the annode. Check all of the OD ground wires and replace as needed. You can see them on the parts blowup.
snow.gif
"

Thanks everyone for your help.

Thanks everyone for your help. I have only one question.Where the bolts connect to the transom plate. Is the plate threaded ?

"[b]"Where the bolts conne

""Where the bolts connect to the transom plate. Is the plate threaded ?"

Nope,...
They pass Thru...
Anode end has a shoulder,+ the inside end takes a Nut..."

Back