Logo

1988 37lx mercruiser L4

1973browning

Contributing Member
"I am in the process of reasse

"I am in the process of reassembling 3.7lx 180 hp. L4 mercruiser I/O. I had the cylinders bored and honed to 30 over. I reinstalled crank with new standard bearings on the mains and 10 over on the connecting rod journals of the crank. Everything was done to specs. by a reputable machine shop. Now I am trying to reinstall pistons in the correct orientation.
Each piston has 2 cutouts for I guess valve clearences and each piston has a small arrow shaped notch cut out of the top edge of each piston. Question: Should the arrow shaped notch face toward the front of engine which is towards #1 cylinder? Also, what is the purpose of this arrow head shaped notch on top outer circumfrence of piston top? I just subscribed to Seloc online thinking that I would be able to access this information. But,so far I have struck out. Maybe I am not using the site properly, or the information that I am trying to get is not on the site. Very disappointed user,
Please someone help me out!"

"Try this link for merc. fac.

"Try this link for merc. fac. manuals. You'll need 2 gigabites of RAM and 30 mins. time to download HUGE file.
snow.gif

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=251571"

Make sure you read the manual!

Make sure you read the manual!! The 470 has some unique features when it comes to re-assembly!!
Also check out the forum at breezeworks.
Chris

"Thanks Guy Gaspar and Chris R

"Thanks Guy Gaspar and Chris Richards for the help and information. Guy I tried to download the file that you showed me but 80% thru the download got error message that the file had been damaged or corrupted. You were right its a big download 356 meg. I'm going to try again tonight. I did find out the orientation of the pistons from a mechanic at ebasicpower. Thats where I bought everything. The so called notches on each piston face toward the front of motor. I was eager to get them installed because stuff like that can get dameaged or lost if you don't stay with it. Everything so far is going together real nice. Also, thanks Chris Richards for your breezeworks lead. Thanks again,
Thomas McGee"

Back