Logo

2006 90HP Yamaha

limoguy

"Can someone explain when a mo

"Can someone explain when a motor will not go over 2000 rpm's, what does that mean. The boat has been sitting for about 9 months. We cleaned the fuel tank of all the old fuel and replaced the fuel filter. Still no difference. Someone told me that the motor will go to a low idle at certain conditions and at certain rpm it ment different things, he did not know what they were.
Thanks,
Ron"

"Ron, you could be experiencin

"Ron, you could be experiencing a "restricted" rpm. This will happen on computer controlled motors when one of the various sensors detects a condition that could possibly fatal to the motor. Depending on the exact model (info would be contained in the owners manual), the rpms will be restricted if an overheat condition is detected or perhaps a low oil/no oil flow condition.

The other possible causes include dirty/clogged carb(s) or injectors (as applicable - and would be the first thing I investigate), a bad fuel pump, an igniton issue (not all cylinders firing) or numerous other issues.

Was the motor properly prepped for storage? Stablizer ran through it for at least 15 minutes prior to shutting down, and then gas line disconnected? If not, would really suspect a major gum/varnish/clog developed while it was sitting."

"The engine was not set up for

"The engine was not set up for storage.
The engine runs pretty cool, so I don't think it is not getting hot. I was chatting with someone last night and they said that when the Yamaha's sit for a length of time you might have trouble with the oil pump.
I guess it would be easier to check the fuel system first."

Back