Logo

470 is out 57 going in

baba_bluey

Regular Contributor
"Ok guys, so here's the de

"Ok guys, so here's the deal. As i posted before, i have a 22'2 aquasport, with the 470 motor. This weekend i pulled the motor/outdrive/and transom assembly.(gimbal housing is shot) After hearing numerous posts about how this boat should have a v-8, i decided to take the plung. I got a complete 1980, 350 chevy.(2-piece rear seal) It also has a new freshwater cooling system. The system is for a OMC, but it looks like it will still work with a mercruiser outdrive. My question is: I got a bellhousing for free from a boatyard. The spacing is 12 3/4 from motormount to motormount. Will a alpha 1 transom assembly work with this, or a alpha 1 gen2? Or should i just pick up a bellhousing to fit these?"

"[b]"<u>The system is for

""<u>The system is for a OMC, but it looks like it will still work with a mercruiser outdrive</u>. My question is: I got a bellhousing for free from a boatyard. The spacing is 12 3/4 from motormount to motormount. Will a alpha 1 transom assembly work with this, or a alpha 1 gen2? Or should i just pick up a bellhousing to fit these?"

Ayuh,... It <u>Won't</u>,... Don't even Try it,..
You've creating Way more work,+ Expense for yourself,...
And,..
You will Still have a Pile of $h!t when you're done...
Along with a pile of Useless Parts...

The Alpha 1,+ the Alpha Gen.II both use a 9" rear motor mount spacing...

As I've stated Many, Many times,...
Go find yourself a Donor Boat, Complete with the Driveline of your choice,+ Junk it Out for it's Parts...
That way you'll have All the parts you need,+ They'll Fit...."

"Bondo. Let me ask you this? L

"Bondo. Let me ask you this? Like i stated before, the motor has a new freshwater closed cooling system. The only thing different i can see with this system is, the main water inlet hose may be a different size going in to the exhaust manifolds. Right now i have a 5/8" hose coming in from my outdrive. I think you stated before that the newer alpha-1 set-up has a 3/4" inlet hose. The only concern i have is which flywheel housing do i need? Motor is 1980 chevy 350."

"I don't believe the alpha

"I don't believe the alpha od is rated for that kind of horsepower either, you may want to look at a bravo. I think the alphas are good to about 300hp. If you doing all this work better to get something that will last for years. Just my opinion. Cheers Norm"

Another consideration: if the

Another consideration: if the closed cooling
system is "complete" (cools the exhaust manifolds
as well as the block) you may need to add a belt driven water pump and a through-hull pickup. The older pumps in the drive did not supply sufficient water volume for a V-8 with closed cooling.

Back