Logo

My carb is dumping gas into the intake manifold

J

Joel Schroder

"I tried to rebuild the carb o

"I tried to rebuild the carb on my merc 470 and all went good until I went to start it. Gas was pouring into the throat and filling the manifold with gas! I talked to a guy about rebuilding it, he said that it would cost about $400 (I don't want to pay that much). Any suggestions on a after market carb or conversions?"

You can look at amarket.com fo

You can look at amarket.com for a rebuilt carburetor or take the one you have apart again and check the setting of the float level.

Sounds like you have either set the float to high letting more fuel into the float bowl than it should causing the fuel to over flow into the intake or the needle & seat is not installed correct.
If either one of these two items are not workng as they should the fuel would not stop flowing into the carburetor and would over flow into the engine through the float bowl vent.
A gasket that is not sealing that is below the fuel level in the float bowl could also cause this.
If the fuel is over flowing from the top of the carburetor then the problem is either the float adjustment or the needle & seat.
Make sure the little round gasket is under the fuel inlet seat.(brass part needle goes in) If this gasket is missing the float would need to travel to far up to stop the fuel flow before it over filled the float bowl.
Also check that the needle is clipped to the float with the retaining wire clip.

"Spent 4 hours tied to a daybe

"Spent 4 hours tied to a daybeacon because of the same problem.. The last time a carb kit was installed, (previous owner) the mechanic(?) Moron(?) put the inline filter in backwards, so it was doing basically nothing... The carb filled up with crap, and ruined the needle valve and seat.. These were replaced, and the entire thing cleaned up, all is well now.."

Back