Logo

Blocking the boat for winter

captlee

"I own a 1982 25' Chris Cr

"I own a 1982 25' Chris Craft Catalina 251 (single inboard). Ever since she arrived from the factory I have taken here out of the water, blocked and winterized her myself. In talking with a fellow boater this morning, he asked me how I blocker her. I told him, one set of blocks under the keel about a quarter of the way from the bow and a second set under the engine plus four stands. He said that his yard always blocks his boat with one set directly under the transom and the second set about where I put mine up by the bow. His yard man swears that under the transom is where the load should be carried for best support of the hull. Does anyone have any opinions on this? Thanks, Dave"

I'm assuming the four stan

I'm assuming the four stands are two at the rear outboard corners of the transom and the other two along the chine rail on each side near the front keel block. Blocking the center of the transom really depends how far back the engine sits. It doesn't hurt to do it though. I have seen fiberglass boats bulge at the sides if there was no support at all along the transom. Put the center transom blocks in for piece of mind. 25' isn't that big though.

I would block the stern at the

I would block the stern at the transom or a couple inches in leaving room for water to drip out of the plug hole. Most of the weight should be there. No cinder blocks.

"Unless your boat is on ashpal

"Unless your boat is on ashpalt or concrete, never use more than 2 blocks or one of them will be holding nothing. You need to support the hull where the engine(s) are, not at the extreme aft.

Jeff"

Back