Logo

Perkins 4107 Starter

mundial

"Hello everyone:
I am looking

"Hello everyone:
I am looking for a starter for my Perkins 4-107. The manual says the starter is a model M45G type RF 17. I'm not sure what manufacturer is this, I have been told the original starter was a Lucas.
The engine is a 1973 vintage S/N 3711240. Additional numbers on the block: MC22280. If anyone can tell me the correct starter for this engine I will be very grateful. I have gone through 3 starters already.

Mundial"

"Thanks everyone, but I think

"Thanks everyone, but I think I found the problem. The Lucas M45G starter (or replacement Lester no. 18430) was missing a spacer on between the starter and the engine flange. When installed the starter was too far in and was engaged in the flywheel all the time. The engine started OK, but as the engine ran it kept the starter running, now it was like a generator. As it ran the starter got hotter and hotter until it buned up. With the 1/4" spacer installed there is a clearance of 3/32" between the pinion on the starter and the flywheel. Now the pinion disengages the way it is supposed to, and the starter does not get hot.
If anyone has a similar problem check the dimensions to make sure there is no interference. Everyone I talked to focused in the electrical side of it (the selenoid) not on
mechanical fit up."

Back