Logo

Would a 150hp 4 stoke be powerful enough to use on 20ft nereus replacing 175 Johnson

nereus

I am replacing the 175 Johnson

I am replacing the 175 Johnson i currently have on my 20ft Nereus. Would a 150hp Yamaha do the job?

"Depends on what you are expec

"Depends on what you are expecting for performance. The 150 will get you out of the hole quicker, but 4 strokes don't have the same top end speed as 2 strokes..you will run more rpms on the 4 stroke for less speed...but fuel milage will be better"

"I know another guide who swit

"I know another guide who switched to one because the dealer really wanted it on his boat. (almost a free engine) He had been running Yami's prior. He really didn't want to switch, but free is free. He doesn't like it...it runs well, quiet, smooth etc....but lacking power (compared to what he had) and bad on fuel and oil. Lack of power and heavy fuel consumption are his complaints. I think he has the 200HP, only seen it this summer for a week so not 100% sure."

"I was privy to some testing o

"I was privy to some testing on an ETEC. I was not overly impressed. Aside from performance which was ok, (the BRP tech had to reflash the computer on at least 3 occasions because we "confused it") from a mechanical point of view I don't like the very high pressure injector system they use (upwards of 1000 psi on the rails).
With that much pressure something is going to let go at some point. Yami uses the same type system on their Direct Injected motors.

I am however, sure that the performance issues that we noted were corrected in more recent versions of the motor.

Dropping from 175 to 150 horse would not be overly noticable - maybe 2 mph or so less at wide open. But if you have been running a 2 stroke, the torque band of a 4 stroke may seem a little sluggish to you since only every second stroke per cylinder is a power stroke. Plus the motor will weigh in anywhere from 100-200 pounds heavier.

If you are looking at a big Direct Injected 2 stroke I really would go with the Optimax from Merc. It is a better motor any way you want to compare than the ETEC or even the Yami in my opinion.

If it's a 4 stroke you want, I would spend a few extra bucks and go with a Honda. They really are in a class by themself..

My 2 cents (which may be all my opinion is worth)
"

"Definately want to go with th

"Definately want to go with the 4 stroke. Can you tell me about the Honda and why you'd chose it over the Yami? Don't know alot about the 4 strokes, want to get my money's worth. What would be my price range?

Cheers"

"Here's what I can tell yo

"Here's what I can tell you about the Honda's.

My Dad was a small engine mechanic since the 1940's (retired now for about 15 years) saw many a design/mfg come and go. Ranted about the quality of small Honda engines when they really hit the market. Won't own a small engine unless produced by Honda (ok still an opinion but probably worked on more small engines than any 4 or 5 us here put together so far).

Their cylinders are plated (some others have followed suit) which make them very very durable - little to no friction = little to no wear.

Honda put all their eggs in the 4 stroke basket - they don't build anything else - that also means all their engineering money goes into 4 stroke design/development and except for a short period where they bought gearcases from Merc, they use their own parts.

A 4 stroke Johnson was built by Suzuki when they were still in production (ya Johnson is gone now).

Tohatsu (in addition to their own branded motors) builds all the Nissans and all the 4 stroke Merc's below 40 horses.

Yamaha's do start out as a concept from their own engineers, but as stated above they spread their engineering over 2 strokes for motor cycles plus a substantial outboard market outside North America where the EPA doesn't exist, plus their 4 stroke line and their direct injected 2 stroke line - my opinion, you can't be great at everything although they do make a very decent product - and do produce more outboard motors than all the other mfg's put together. Yami's are also sold as Sail, Parsun and a couple other names I can't recall at the moment with alot of Chinese built components.

Again, just opinions, but you ask the couple of guys here who work on 4 strokes regularly how often they have to do "repairs" not service on Honda's and the answer is "rarely".

If Honda has any drawback it's that when they discontinue a model they discontinue the parts as well. So after 20 years or so, they can be difficult to find parts for.

With any outboard about 95% of the problems can usually be traced to "lack of scheduled maintenance", so in the end you control the "quality" of the motor to a far greater extent than the plant that manufactured it, but why not start with a "superior" product and take care of that last 5%..."

Back