Logo

Wanting to avoid problems

wmlaks

Regular Contributor
"I purchased my first boat thi

"I purchased my first boat this past november and I have already dealt with the issues that I knew about when i bought the boat. I have read in other posts about potential drive problems that other people have been haveing with there boats. It takes approx. 1 1/2 hours to get to the lake and I really do not want to get to the lake just to have to turn around and go back home due to mechanical problems. I have read about where people were instructed to pressure test there drives and was wounder how to go about doing that I am also interested in any other suggestions on what to check before i leave the driveway. The boat is an 87 bayliner capri 1750 with a 2.3 liter omc cobra drive. I have started and listened to the engine and it sounds great. I had a set of muffs on the engine when it was running the motor it throttled up nicely ran at about 160 degrees. I know that running at 4000 rpm's in the driveway is nowhere near the same load on the engine as running 4000 rpm's on the lake does any one know a procedure for load testing the engine other than taking it to the lake? I have already done the usual maintanice(plugs wires, cap, rotor, relplaced the filters drained the fuel tank drained and refilled the the drive, replaced the raw water pump replaced the thermostat) I believe that is all the main. I performed so far. any other suggestions will be greatly appreacited. Thaks Michael"

If you have done all the above

If you have done all the above and the drive oil was not milkie then Happy boating. Don't forget the drain plug.

Back