Logo

FUEL TANK CONNECTORS

nicknack2

Regular Contributor
"Well once again here we go wi

"Well once again here we go with new question… I switched motors from a Mercury to a Johnson, this might seem like a stupid question but please stay with me… my old portable tank has Mercury fuel connectors, so I figure I can attach a mercury male fuel connector to the end of my Johnson fuel line (the fuel line that goes in to the tank into the female mercury connector) my question is would this cause fuel delivery problems??? I guess using mercury connectors leading in to a Johnson???"

Whatever connectors you want t

Whatever connectors you want to use is up to you. The object is to get the fuel out of the tank and into the engine without any leaks. What you want to avoid is air getting into the suction side (tank). Most marine dealers have replacement ends of both female and male connections for Merc and Johnson/Evinrude. For a few bucks you can buy a complete replacement hose with the Johnson ends and the primer bulb. If you are in a bind you can hook the hose directly to the tank and engine with hose clamps and dispose of the quick disconnects.

"As Cal points out, you can us

"As Cal points out, you can use whatever you like.

All my motors (2 OMC's and 3 Mercs) all use OMC connectors - I even changed out the connectors on the Merc's themself so they would take a standard OMC line. I did this so that I don't need different fuel lines (nothing worse than getting to a lake with the Merc hooked on and finding that you threw the OMC line in the boat)

I went with the OMC connectors because they are "generic" - been the same for years regardless of model (and are the cheapest on the market out of all the mfgs) while Merc has at least half a dozen different connectors out there. I have had zero issues as result of the connectors themself..."

Thanks guys just trying to sor

Thanks guys just trying to sort out my fuel issues leading into a VRO replacement (fuel only pump) have not troubleshot in depth but as you know w/o back pressure with flushing devise the motor acts so much different than in the actual lake...

Back