Logo

Wherebs the choke

331_mustang

"Ok, so don't laugh, I&#39

"Ok, so don't laugh, I'm new to this boating thing.

I just bought a used deck boat with a mid-1990's Force 90hp outboard motor on the back and I can't figure out where the choke is located. The control box on the boat says US Marine, not sure if that is the original or not. But I can not seem to locate a lever or other obvious device for engaging the choke.

There is a small grey/black button below where the key goes in, which seems to unscrew a bit. I'm not sure what it does, but that just doesn't seem like it's related to the choke.

I've included a picture of the control box below.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for the help."

"Didn't seem like the pic

"Didn't seem like the pic of the control box uploaded, so I'm trying again.
247392.jpg
"

"Yes, Mario is correct. You do

"Yes, Mario is correct. You don't really have a "choke", it has an enrichment system (kinda "leaks" fuel to the carb throats).

You turn the key to "on" without going all the way to start, and then press it (in) and hold for about 3 seconds of so. It operates a solenoid valve which releases fuel to all 3 carbs to help with a cold start...

And your control is original. US marine was Bayliners division that built the Force line before it was handed over to Mercury.

If I'm remembering correctly, most of these were not rigged with a Tachometer. If you remove that grey knob (thingy) that will be the access hole to run a dash harness if you chose to install optional gauges including the tach..."

"Yes & Yes to above. turn

"Yes & Yes to above. turn the key to "on" position & then push the key in. right there, you should hear a clicking sound.(i assume the butterflies are closing) then start the motor. that's how mine sounds & works.
ps/ make sure the primer bulb is full & the tank vents are open & don't lay on the starter too long...they're pricey!"

Back