Logo

Batterys question Two or One

rustymich

Regular Contributor
What do you guys use do you go

What do you guys use do you go with two batterys per engine or one wondering rebuilding a boat what it right I believe two would be better each engine?

"Russell, what type of boat an

"Russell, what type of boat and how many engines?

On my single engine (outboard) 25 footer I run 3 batteries. 1 starting battery (850 MCA) and 2 house batteries (group 27 deep cycle). I have them rigged with a combiner switch and an automatic charge relay.

The alternator charges all 3 batteries when the motor is running, only the starting battery sends power to the motor and the house batteries only send power to the cabin/assessories. If needed you can switch so that all 3 batteries can be used to start the motor in case of a low starting battery.

If you think you need 2 batteries to start the motor, you probably simply need either a new battery or a larger starting battery...."

It is a 34'twin 360s I no

It is a 34'twin 360s I no one will start Im wondering about using the things on the boat as well as redundent when offshore havent got into the electrical yet would like it to be right and practical so everything aboard has ample power..thanks again

"I would definately keep the h

"I would definately keep the house batteries and the starting batteries separate. You don't want your accessories draining your starting battery and leaving you to paddle back

Anything from a simple isolation circuit up to the fancier (read more expensive) charging relays will do the job nicely.

Whichever you use and whatever the cost, it's still less than being stranded many miles from shore because you killed your batteries..."

I think what Ill do is two bat

I think what Ill do is two batterys for the house and one each engine on a select switch if one dies I can switch to good one if all else fails use house batterys if they fail fire generator use it to charge batterys with start/charger if that fails call seatow I hope all that doesnt happen....graham are you on a biodiesel forum as well looks similar

"russell:

if you get into i

"russell:

if you get into it, take the time to do it right - good crimpers, good ring ends, and marine grade (finely stranded and tinned) wire. I've found more issues with wiring done on the cheap than anything else on a boat...typically, the 'cheapskate' that doesn't want to spend for high quality connections is the first one to be on the back end of the sea-tow line."

"No, I stick to outboard forum

"No, I stick to outboard forum exclusively. My Dad, long retired now, was really the mechanic so it kinda wore off on me.

I will always prefer rigging (and am better at that) compared to tearing down an engine, but both kinda come with the territory
"

Back