Logo

Fuel economy and cardinal sin of boating

mark_searay

Contributing Member
"Again, many thanks to the mem

"Again, many thanks to the members here over the past two years with help resurrecting our boat. I have seen a number of questions on fuel economy and would offer our numbers as an example of the 470.

While it is a cardinal sin to track how much money is spent on boating (I had to have a really good log to get the boat sorted out) the following is what we got last season.

She is a twin Sea Ray SRV255, 170's, hull is painted in anti foul and clean; drives are propped correctly with full throttle rpm at approx. 4250, Pertronix ignition. Boat is 6,500 lbs wet, no passengers and we typically have 4-6 on board. Typical operation is 1500-2000 rpm 50% of time and 3,800 rpm 40%, with the occasional idle and wide open.

For season last year, ~60 hrs., the average was 7.1 gph. (3.55/engine/hr)

It is 0 F, wishing it was 90 F. Happy holidays everyone!"

"well last summer with gas pri

"well last summer with gas prices as they were,

7.1 gph x ~$4.00 = $28.04 per hour of operation.
An 6-8 hour day, avg 7 hours = $196.28 per use
I hope the others that came along brought the beer!!!!!

My Motorcyle has a 5 gallon tank at $4.00 = $20.
I get 42 mpg = 210 miles = 5 gals = $20.00
Lots $$$ left over for beer!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like next summer will be a better boating season, My recommendations are to fill up now no matter what the weather, the price is low and who know where it will be next summer."

"If we fill up now and add Sta

"If we fill up now and add Stabil, think the gas will still be good when nice weather rolls around?"

1 ounce of Stabil treats 2.5 g

1 ounce of Stabil treats 2.5 gals. of gas and will keep it fresh for a year. They now make it for gasohol that won't hurt your I/O of OB.

"You guys with your cheap &#40

"You guys with your cheap (inexpensive) U.S. gallons.

Up here, in the land of back-bacon and beer, our gas went to $1.40 / liter this past summer. Theres 3.78 liters in a U.S. gallon, which turns out to be about $5.30 for a U.S. gallon. Kinda amazing that 4 short months later (today) I bought gas for 67.1 cents / liter. I'm sure that these prices will only last untill the day before our next long weekend (May 24) in the spring. As soon as driving season comes back, they will find a good excuse to jack the price back up, something like ..... Some oil cartell guy in the Middle-East had a bad day because his kid stepped on a cactus at school and came home crying his eyes out. That instantly makes it more expensive for all of us to drive our toys.

Wrench"

Back