Logo

Adjusting timing and dwel

relic

Each time I adjust the dwell a

Each time I adjust the dwell and timing they seem to change the last setting on the other. What is the correct sequence to get these two adjustments correct. Does dwel increase or decrease when the points are adjusted wider?

Sounds to me that the distribu

Sounds to me that the distributor bushings are worn out. Lotta hours on this distributor? Can you move the shaft side to side by hand? The sequence would be to set the points then adjust timing. If I remember correctly the wider the points the smaller the dwell. I may be wrong on that one though.

"Always adjust the dwell first

"Always adjust the dwell first. If you adjust the timing first and then change the dwell, the timing will change. Dwell is the number of degrees the distributor rotates while the points are in the closed position...a dwell meter is used to check if the points have been correctly adjusted with the feeler gauge. If the point adjustment is correct, the dwell will be within specifications. The dwell decreases as the points are adjusted wider. If the dwell is too high, it means the point gap is too small. Don't forget to lubricate the distributor cam after you are done making the adjustment. Here is a link which might help:
http://books.google.com/books?id=kGz6HC6w98YC&pg=PA222&lpg=PA222&ots=7oPAsVxcmY& dq=ignition+point+dwell&ie=ISO-8859-1&output=html"

Unfortunatly with marine point

Unfortunatly with marine point ignitions you can not adjust the points when the engine is running.

So the use of a feeler guage is sometines needed to preset the points. The suggestion of putting some grease on the cams of the dist shaft is a very important one!!!
Why not spend the money if it is available for your distributor and get an electronic conversion?

Pertronics is one source.

I have a digital meter that measures dwell when cranking..........Makes setting a whole lot easier!

I have a question for you. I h

I have a question for you. I have the new points set and when I set the timing to the spec in the book the engine runs much rougher than with more advance. Neverther the less I set it to spec at 3-8degrees at 800rpm. When I rev it to 2000 it is supposed to b e 23 degrees advance but I am getting more like 33 degrees. What do you think?

"Let's go back a step....w

"Let's go back a step....what type, year and size engine do you have??? Are you using 3 or 8 degrees as the basic timing??? At 2000RPM you say you should have 23 degrees of advance...is that total advance(initial advance plus centrifigual advance) or is that purely centrifigual advance??? How many hours on the motor and distributor???"

Thanks. We are working with a

Thanks. We are working with a 1983 488 mercruiser with maybe 1000 hours. The basic timing was between 3 and 8 as it seems to move around in this range. The 32 is total advance.

"Danny Your timing is about

"Danny Your timing is about right(32 total) to get an even timing at idle you will need to rebuild your dist.
Or go with the points elimination systems recomended.
Points are Old School and need maintance, get rid of the points and you will be verry pleased with the upgrade. smooth idle, easy starts and NO maintance.. all +++s
good luck"

Back