Logo

165 inline 6 water leak

D

dtrost27

I'm wondering if anyone kn

I'm wondering if anyone knows whether or not water should be coming out of the shift shaft where the upper and lower unit meet on the front of my outdrive. It's an inline 6 165 and I never noticed if water was coming out of there before. It's warm water coming out so it must be water exiting the the motor. Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated. thanks

"Exhaust water flows past the

"Exhaust water flows past the shift shaft in the gimble bell housing. If the idle relief ports are clogged most of it will come out the prop. This should be addressed, but if it runs OK at idle it is not critical. If water is flowing down from the top (out of the bell hsg) then the shift shaft bushing is severely worn. Flowing up from the lower half the there is an exhaust restriction. There is also a small hole in the lower half forward of and just above the bullet on the starboard side. When running on the hose this should have a steady stream of water comming out. If it does not the there is something built up in side the drive. Remove the drive and check for any restrictions."

"The water is coming up out of

"The water is coming up out of the shift shaft not down out, so that means it's an exhaust restriction? I'm not sure I know what you mean by the bullet? The only places I know of that have water coming out are the exhaust ports right behind the transom and out of the prop. Is this correct, exept for the place your talking about?"

Back