Logo

1974 chrysler LM 340

B

Bill Snyder

I recently rebuilt my 340 Chr

I recently rebuilt my 340 Chrysler and replaced the exhaust manifolds and risers. The problem is I have exhaust coming from two ports which are exposed in the center of each cylinder head that face toward the intake mainfold. I have all of the correct parts but it appears there should be plug in these holes. Does anyone know if such a thing exist?

" Bill, I'm more of a F

" Bill, I'm more of a Ford and Chevy guy, but it sounds like you're describing the ports used to heat the carb base area in the intake manifold, usually called the "manifold heat crossover". These ports should be routed into the intake manifold and the manifold should have passages in it to accomodate the ports.

The degree to which hot exhaust gases are allowed to flow is controlled by inserts in the intake manifold gaskets. They can be plugged by the gasket inserts, but then you would have no heat to help atomize fuel when the engine's cold, or to help prevent carb icing. Are you sure these ports were uncovered before? Are you using the same intake manifold? If the intake manifold leaves these ports open, then I'd bet you have the wrong manifold unless Chrysler uses something entirely different than Ford or Chevy. "

Back