Logo

2 x AQ 130s Exhaust elbows amp Distributer probs

uno759

Contributing Member
"I have recently purchased a C

"I have recently purchased a Corenette 24 with 2 Volvo Penta AQ130/270,s. When viewing this boat i neglected to see that both exhaust elbows where fractured underneath. In my defence the boat was shore bound at the time so did not see the engines running and relied on some invoices from January refering to the engines being fully serviced. However I now find i have to replace both of these and would greatly appreciate your help and advice on how best to go about it. I have little engine experience so need to know all the basics of where to source these, who can fit them and how best to go about it. To add insult to injury today I found a clip hanging of one side of the distributer so reclipped it in. From that point on the engine will not fire. I then lifted the cap to reveal the rotor which was in bits ? (pulled whats left of my hair out) Can you tell me what the part number would be for the AQ130c and heres the punch line ! Can I source it here in the UK ??? Please help."

"Hi,

To my knowledge, there

"Hi,

To my knowledge, there are no aftermarket exhaust manifolds/elbows made for your engine, and the same applies to distributors. However, there is an extensive "used but good" market, at least in North America (maybe also in the UK?). In your case, and other than biting the bullet and buying the parts brand new from your Volvo Penta dealer, your best bet may be looking for a Volvo Penta boneyard in your area.

According to this link
http://www.bluemoment.com/engines.html

there is a company http://www.volspec.co.uk/ that claims having a large number of used parts for older engines.

Sorry for not being able to give you more help."

"El Pescador, Many thanks for

"El Pescador, Many thanks for that ! Could I pick your brains on the other issue I have with the rotor within the distributor or does the same apply as with the elbows ? Once again thanks in advance of your help."

"El Pescador, Further to my la

"El Pescador, Further to my last. Just followed the links you gave me. On my 1st phone call to a company called Keypart Limited got all the parts I needed, 2 rotor arms (1 spare) two elbows all for £223.00 with a 3 day dilivery, Im well chuffed !. Now just a case of fitting the elbows. Any tips ? Thanks"

"Hi,

If you found the rotor

"Hi,

If you found the rotor in bits, I think you should make sure that the cap is in good shape. It is a good practice to replace cap and rotor at the same time.

Even if aftermarket distributors are not available for your engine, the good news is that aftermarket rotors and caps are available from Sierra. Click on this link

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/sierra_parts/8024/volvo_penta.html

then click on the "Common Gas Engine Tune-Up Parts" links. I would expect that Sierra parts are available in the UK.

Out of curiosity, when you mentioned that the exhaust elbows were "fractured", did you mean they were "cracked" or rather "corroded" (wasted)? The latter is common with age, but not so the former."

"Im realy lucky i got the crac

"Im realy lucky i got the cracked & corroded version ? new ones ordered so no big issue anymore apart from the fitting ofcourse. The route cause of the problem with the rotor arm was that it had cracked with age, just got weak. The prevous owner then must have done a quick fix but never fixed it correctly. I got a good price on the boat because of all these problems, the previous owner was not into boats so seems to have simply sold it when all these issues came up. My next little gem of a problem seems to be the steering gear. The single stainless steel bolt connecting the 270 outdive to the steering gear seems to have warn away the alloy of the helmet to a point where the thread is now not holding the bolt in place and there is a significant amount of play in and around the steering gear bolt. Next job to source new helmet and solve the thread problem in the gear box. Thinking of a cap with wings holding / trapping the bolt in place with a helical thread fix on the bolt."

"I have not done this before,

"I have not done this before, but I am quite sure you should be able to repair the thread in the upper gear assembly with a heli-coil thread insert. Then, a new (or used but good) helmet and a new bolt and you are done."

"Uno759,
With some many poten

"Uno759,
With some many potential issues, you WILL find more once continue to look, I'd invest in a repair manual from Seloc, Clymer, or if you can find it, Volvo Penta. Well worth the $30-$40 it cost here in the US.

If you have not been there yet, go to:
http://www.dougrussell.com/partscatalog/volvo_omc/
for at least some cross cut drawings of Volvo parts. Do not think the AQ130 is there, but you should be able to find the 270 drive on other engines.

Good luck!"

Thank you both for your valued

Thank you both for your valued advice I will do as you say and all things being equal I will sort the problems out. Yet to face the alternator problem which ile save for next week i think. Both alternators not charging batteries up at all.

"If none of the alternators ar

"If none of the alternators are charging, I'd go for the common denominator, the ground (earth in Europe)! Check the connections for corrosion and make sure you have good conductivity all the way back to the battery/ies.

If that's not doing it, I'd check the circuits for some type of disconnect devices (battery breaker/isolator) and make sure that it is in the correct position and functioning (conductivity).
If that still does not do it, and the alternators are spinning and you get voltage out of them, I'd check the regulators.

If no voltage, it could be something as easy as stuck brushes that do not make any contact. If you have Valeo (Paris-Rhone) alternators, the brushes are found just behind the regulator (on the alternator). Or, it could be (as it was on mine one day) a spade connector with metal "fatigue", thereby no longer making contact.

Depending on who you ask (battery charging is a science in itself), you should see 14.2V to 14.4V at the alternator, assuming you have no funky voltage regulator and separators.

Do not have that much info, so I'll stop here..."

"That,ll get me going ! Good j

"That,ll get me going ! Good job I got a little time on my hands presently eh? Before I came to this forum I bearly new where the spark plugs where, now I feel confident enough to start fault finding some of these problems. If there was an award for very useful forums with genuine people on it im sure this one would win. Once again im indebted to you all for your help. Just off out to buy a half decent multi meter to test some of the circuits and see if I can narrow down the problem. Let you know how I get on ok."

"Just a few photo,s putting a

"Just a few photo,s putting a little meat on the bone.
24775.jpg

24776.jpg

24777.jpg
"

Back