Logo

Johnson 6hp link follower

sander_e_s

"Johnson 6 hp 1977.
Engine ru

"Johnson 6 hp 1977.
Engine runs great when half throttle, when full throttle the engine loses power and runs unevenly. The follwer link (http://epc.brp.com/default.aspx?brands=ej&lang=F part 33) is not original. I suspect this is the problem, the distance might be out of range, what's the correct distance between cam follwer and throttle shaft? Please help

kind regards, sander"

"Look at the cam which is atta

"Look at the cam which is attached to the magneto plate. There should be two raised or boss marks near the right side (the right side when you're in the boat, looking at the carburetor).

Slowly advancing the throttle, that cam should make contact with the carburetor throttle roller just as the left side of the roller lines up with those marks.

That adjustment assures that the throttle butterfly opens and closes at that point.

Your problem could also be that the high speed jet is somewhat clogged. This is a common problem when the jet is fouled."

"Thanks for your response, joe

"Thanks for your response, joe.
unfortunately, it didn't work. I cleaned the entire carburetor three times already and synchronised the link follwer (which was far from where it supposed to be). This morning I discovered the sparkplugs were completely fouled. That might also be a problem. I replaced them with the sparkplugs of our Johnson 9.5, I know they work then. I'll test within an hour, i'll keep you updated.

By the way, is it normal that the jonhson 9.5 hp uses about three litres (~0.8 us gallon) an hour? fuel is expensive here. (1,65 euro. a litre (6 us dollar per us gallon)"

I think the engine is getting

I think the engine is getting too much fuel. Because blue smoke is all over the place? any one ideas what the problem could be?

"The engineis using entirely t

"The engineis using entirely too much fuel. Leaving the hoses attached to the fuel pump, remove the fuel pump from the powerhead, then attach nuts to the retaining screws so that the pump is firmly sealed.

Now apply pressure to force fuel into the pump. If any fuel leaks out the pressure hole located at the back of the pump, the diaphram is leaking. If this is the case, either rebuild or replace the pump.

When rebuilding the carburetor, did you replace the round thick cork gasket that seals the brass venturi tube to the float chamber? If not, therein lies your problem."

"the fuel pump seems to be OK.

"the fuel pump seems to be OK.
I'll take the carb apart today.. Maybe i have to mention that I revisoined/revisited or whatever the carb, (new floater, gaskets etc)"

"I looked at the picture but c

"I looked at the picture but cannot determine if that screw in venturi gasket is as thin as the body gasket or thicker. It should thicker and be made of cork and is part number 302984 if you need to purchase it seperately.

I see the high speed jet 7/16" hex head plug screw is installed in the float chamber. I assume that the brass fixed high speed jet is actually installed, clean, and seated in back of that screw where it belongs?

Spark plugs should be Champion J6C plugs, gapped at .030 .

(Carburetor Adjustment - Single S/S Adjustable Needle Valve)
(J. Reeves)

Initial setting is: Slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Start engine and set the rpms to where it just stays running. In segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the S/S needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running.

Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

Note: As a final double check setting of the slow speed valve(s), if the engine has more than one carburetor, do not attempt to gradually adjust all of the valves/carburetors at the same time. Do one at a time until you hit the above response (die out or spit back), then go on to the next valve/carburetor. It may be necessary to back out "all" of the slow speed adjustable needle valves 1/8 turn before doing this final adjustment due to the fact that one of the valves might be initially set ever so slightly lean.

When you have finished the above adjustment, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

(Carburetor Float Setting)
(J. Reeves)

With the carburetor body held upside down, the float being viewed from the side, adjust the float so that the free end of the float (the end opposite the hinge pin) is ever so slightly higher (just ever so slightly off level) than the other end. And when viewed from the end, make sure it is not cocked.

I also assume the float is not being installed upside down (it happens)."

""I see the high speed jet

""I see the high speed jet 7/16" hex head plug screw is installed in the float chamber. I assume that the brass fixed high speed jet is actually installed, clean, and seated in back of that screw where it belongs?"
The previous owner put a drill in it we think. Luckily, we had a donor engine which had one which was OK. So we swapped it. the engine runs great now! I still have to adjust the slowspeed, then it's ready to use again

thanks a lot, joe!"

"mm doesn't work again..

"mm doesn't work again..
i was at full speed when suddenly the rpms raised so i switched the engine off. I discovered the engine went into neutral position. So i started it again, started great, but when I put it into gear the engine dies. I had to row home. Tried again there. Same problem. The lower section and propeller seem to be OK. So I now started it in gear, after a bit a struggle the engine evetually started, went on 5 meters (i guess that's 6 yards) and died again..

by the way, we refreshed the oil, it turned out to be white. that's no good..."

Browsed through the post and s

Browsed through the post and studied the pic at 'tinypic'. The float tab seems odly bent like Your needel walve is too far in. Did You install the nylon washer under the needle valve seat?

Back