Logo

1964 v4 60 hp point gap setting question

kochy

"Having problems getting these

"Having problems getting these points set correctly. I understand other stuff really well, i've got the timing set, carbs set and magneto carb synchro'd, but these points keep giving me problems. I'm going by a manual showing me to do it by the synchro method using a test light. first of all my marks on the belt gear cover on points and magneto hold down bracket are not as described in the manual. also what set do you set first the set closest to condenser or the one farthest. Is one set of points suppose to be open and the other closed or are they both suppose to open and close at same time? Any help in making this clearer for me to understad or use another method of setting/gaping them would be greatly appreciated. Many, many Thanks!"

There is two ways to adjust th

There is two ways to adjust the points. One is just way to complex and requires some modified old distributor parts to do.
The one most used is to get the distributor cam set at the highest point where it contacts the point set.
Set the gap at 0.020". A wire gauge is better than a feeler gauge fot this just because it will fit in the tight space easier.
It makes no differance which set of points is adjusted first.
After the adjustment use a go / no go with a gauge one size larger to make sure the gap is correct. The larger size should not fit in the gap.

Boy.... you making it sound ea

Boy.... you making it sound easy! When you say check it go / no go ? Are you saying one set open and other set closed? Lost me a lil there. So you are saying as long as each set are gapped on the highest point of cam lobe i should be OK? I'm not to worry about any marks on magneto just the highest lobe then.

The points need to be on the h

The points need to be on the high point of the cam. Doesn't matter where as long as it is the high point.
The go / no go is done on the point set after you have adjusted it. While the point set is sitll open after setting it try to insert one size larger feeler gauge. If it will pass into the gap you have the gap set to wide.
Only worry about setting one set of points at a time. After one is set then do the other.

Back