Logo

Questions questions questions

tswanson

"I have a 1978 Sea Ray Weekend

"I have a 1978 Sea Ray Weekender requiring some work. I do not think the pervious owner did it intentionally but it happened. His brother had died so the family sold the boat. All fresh water (Colorado or Powell). The boat shop had it for over a month and wanted 4,000 for a gimbal ring repair, gimbal bearing, engine coupler, and re-seal kit. I finally went and got the boat and will do the repairs myself.The entire time I tkink the water was entering the bilge from the exh. Tube. Then they tried to tell me with an oil change there was 3 1/2 gallons of water in it plus a gallon of oil. I do not believe that for one minute. The oil level on the dip stick was still in the safe range between full and add.The color of the oil was a very light brown like light chocolate milk. It is a 1992 7.4 Bravo II. I think there was water in the oil because I used my shop vac and back washed the exhaust. I pulled so much water through the system I hydro-lock the engine. I had got all the water out of the cylinders. I pulled the exh. manifolds had them boiled out at a machine shop and inspected. The raisers looked good. I replaced all gaskets and put back together. They changed the oil twice. I think I see traces of water in the oil still. I ran the engine hooked up to the hose and did not see any water in the oil except maybe a slight trace. If I look at the dip stick it looks like clear oil. It I out the oil on my finger it has a slight tint of a real light brown alsmost the color of a real light chocolate milk. I ran the motor for over 20 minutes to operating temp. and the termosate was open. The oil level on the dip stick never raised. I will pull the motor this weekend to do the coupler. With the motor out I will drain the oil again. This will be the thrid oil change. Thanks Tim"

I must say I do not follow thi

I must say I do not follow this. You say the oil was changed and there was gallons of water removed but you do not believe this because there was no water when you checked the oil level but the oil was milky.
If the engine was run for a short time after the oil change and showed some sign of water in the oil this would be normal if all the water had not been drained.(water in lifters oil passages etc) But if you changed the oil again and ran the engine there should be no sign of water unless there is a leak letting the water into the oil system. The first oil change should have flushed all the remaining water out. This is one part I'm not clear on. You said the oil was clear then said it showed a sign of the chocolate milk.
Well that color means there is water in the oil and will get lighter in color the more it is run if water is still getting in. You could have a small leak if the oil is still showing signs of water after the last oil change.
The fact that there was any water in the oil at anytime is reason for concern.
Even back washing will not let water into the oil system.
The oil system is sealed from the exhaust and water systems.
You could not get enoigh water to pass by the pistons into the crank case even if you did hydro it.
Now if you think that someone put the water in the engine for some reason that would explain how it was there in the first place. But if you are still showing more water in the oil you have a problem.
This may have frozen.
I'd make sure there is no place that has a crack or leaking gasket where it is letting water into the oil before doing all of the work you said it needed.
Again I'm not following what you are saying but I think you feel that the place that had the boat was telling you a story about how much water was in the engine and you think there was none.
The fact that you found oil with what sounds like it had some water in it by what you said the color of the oil was means there was water in the oil system at some point. Just how much or how it got there is what is not known to you.
Unless someone added the water there is no chance of it getting in the engine other than a leak between the water and oil systems

"The fact that it was repowere

"The fact that it was repowered in the first place may be an indication of how well it was maintained before you bought it. If the guy lived in/around Page, AZ or north of there it's entirely possible that it froze."

"The reason for the repower wa

"The reason for the repower was they changed the 5.7 alpha drive for the 7.4 Bravo II. The owner lived in Colorado and would go to Powell several times in the summer. I got all the maintenance records with the boat. It was maintianed by a marine mechanic. My point for the above post was the boat shop here, said that the engine had 3 1/2 gallons of water. I was saying that is impossible to have that volume of water and a gallon of oil and not reflect this on the dip stick, or not having it flowing out of the dip stick tube. I just ran the motor and did a compression check. Even on all cylinders, no water in the cylinders either. What I did notice was water in the vallyes under the by pass hose which go to the carb. When I pulled these hoses from the valve cover some water dripped out of the hose. Checked the oil and there was not indication of water in the oil while running. I narrowed it down that if water is entering the engine it is something under the value covers. Good compression would indicate good head gasket. Is it possible that the manifold gaskets could be leaking, or something to do with the thermastat housing. When I looked at the oil filler cap appeared that water had been on them (white). I really think the block is alright. I will be pulling the motor tomorrow to do a coupler or do you think it would be better to pull the manifold while in the boat? Thanks Tim"

Timothy:

I'd bet your e

Timothy:

I'd bet your engine will be just fine. It takes a lot of running to burn out all the moisture inside a motor.

Good luck!

Jeff

Back