Logo

Rebuilding volvo aq130c

macoso

"Couple questions.....I've

"Couple questions.....I've just installed the crankshaft and pistons after a rebore(obviously the new pistons are matched to fit the bore). When I manually rotate the crankshaft, I hear a slight clicking sound whenever the pistons reach the top of the upstroke and begin to go back down. A friend of mine who used to work for GM said this is normal. It sounds like it is coming from the wrist pins for some reason. Also, The new pistons stop a millimeter or two short from being completely flush with the top of the block at the height of the upstroke. Are these things okay? All the sizes are correct, so I don't see why anything should be abnormal.

Also, 2 questions about sealant: 1)What should I use to seal the outdrive bellows and where can I buy it? 2) Should I use a sealant on the head gasket/exhaust/intake manifold gaskets? If so, what kind?"

".." The new pistons stop

".." The new pistons stop a millimeter or two short from being completely flush with the top of the block at the height of the upstroke. Are these things okay?"

Yes. Perfectly normal.

"Also, 2 questions about sealant: 1)What should I use to seal the outdrive bellows and where can I buy it?"

Not sure.

"2) Should I use a sealant on the head gasket/exhaust/intake manifold gaskets? If so, what kind?"

Modern gaskets do not require sealant, except at corners of intake manifold gaskets. head bolts that go into water jackets, and a few other spots. Any quality silicone will do.

Jeff"

"Regarding the question about

"Regarding the question about the outdrive bellows sealant, there is no mention of any sealant being required in the Seloc or Clymer manuals. Personally, I always apply a coat of Perfect Seal, Permatex (non-hardening type) or similar. I found that this facilitates the installation and prevents corrosion in the areas where the rubber meets the outdrive. I also apply the same product(s) to the raw water hose, exhaust bellows, and all fasteners (so that I will be able to remove them in the future)"

"Where can I buy those sealant

"Where can I buy those sealants? Oh and thanks a million for the help guys! This is my first go around with a project this big, so I'm pretty paranoid, but I'd rather be paranoid than stupid!
Eric"

Oh one more thing......I have

Oh one more thing......I have to re-do some of the copper piping for the cooling system(to the oil cooler and exhaust manifold). Any suggestions as to what kind of adhesive I should use to seal it?

"There are rubber gaskets that

"There are rubber gaskets that fit there. Check the link for them (ITEMS 12 and 19).

http://www.dougrussell.com/partscatalog/volvo_omc/index.cfm?fuseaction=comp&grou p=1954&GroupList=1943,1944,1945,1946,1947,1948,1949,1950,1951,1952,1953,1954,195 5,1956,1957,1958,1959,1960,1961,1966,1962,1963,1964,1965,1967,1968,1969,1970,197 1,1972,1973,1974,1975

It shows a different model of engine but I believe that at least the cooler gaskets are the same as in your model (ask your Volvo dealer, they are not expensive). You may want to coat those gaskets with Perfect Seal as well as the screws, you will be glad you did next time you have to remove them.
biggrin.gif
"

Back