Logo

Oil leaking from under flywheel

tampabay

Can anyone give step by step i

Can anyone give step by step instruction on how to replace a rear seal or main seal. I have a 1998 260 HP mercruiser engine and noticed oil leaking from under the flywheel. I read that you could do this without removing the engine if you have room to work. I am wondering how hard of a job this is. Can anyone help please.

"There is no possibilty of rep

"There is no possibilty of replacing the rear main on 98 without removing the engine.
1. Remove engine
2. Remove bellhousing/flywheel cover, coupler and flywheel.
3. Pry out and replace seal
4. Assemble removed parts.
5. Re-install engine."

Make sure it is the main seal

Make sure it is the main seal leaking.
The main seal does not fail very often unless the engine is running out of balance at the flywheel.
This is a lot of work to replace so just make sure it's the problem before you dive into it is all I'm trying to say here.

If you do replace it without removing the engine please list your address. I'll send you an award of some kind.

My mistake. The oil is drippin

My mistake. The oil is dripping from the crankshaft damper. It's the front seal I need to replace.

Well there goes your award.

Well there goes your award.
The front seal is not hard to change if you do have the room.
It can be tough to get the pan bolts loose but it can be done. You may need to lift the front of the engine but you shouldn't need to remove it. Getting the pan resealed is the hardest part because you can't see if the gasket is in place.

Make sure you use a balance removal and installing tool. Do not hammer on the damper / balancer no matter what anyone tells you. This can cause major damage to the internal bearings. So tell your buddy to forget it before he even starts telling you how many times he has done it.

"Things went well, but I have

"Things went well, but I have a problem with getting the timing cover back on. Any ideas on how to get the gasket or seal on end of the oil pan? Could I use a screw driver and work it on that way? I tried everything else. even loosen two screws on the oil pan.

Thanks"

Back