Logo

Upper gear from the intermediate housing

jordan

"Can't seperate the upper

"Can't seperate the upper gear from the intermediate housing. I have removed the fastener from the steering helmet, removed the shift cover, the shift cable, disconnected thecable from the shift mechanism, removed the locking plate, unclamped the u-joint bellows, unclamped the exhaust bellows, unclamed the water intake hose, removed the 2 socket head screws and the 2 nuts holding the upper gear housing to the intermediate housing. then used a rubber hammer for about a hour and can not seperate the two. This is a volvo penta 2.3 1987 AQ131/275 I'm trying to replace the u-joints is there somthing I'm missing? Help, Dave"

"You are not missing anything;

"You are not missing anything; rather, you have removed too many things there is no need for like the shift cable, the locking plate, the water intake hose, or the exhaust bellows.

Somehow, I suspect that the two stainless studs from where you removed the two nuts may be seized. Try re-installing a couple of old nuts but just screw them in about 3 turns (just to protect the stud), then try using a pry-bar on each side to force the studs upwards. Be careful not to damage the studs in the process.

I strongly suggest that you obtain a copy of the Seloc and/or Clymer manuals for your engine if you intend to do repairs yourself. You will save yourself a lot of hassle (and money)."

"I did pick up a Clymer manual

"I did pick up a Clymer manual and this is where I got stuck. I'll try prying up on the studs, thanks for your help. Dave"

"If you just want to change th

"If you just want to change the u-joints and you still have trouble removing the upper gear assembly, you can also separate the outdrive from the transom shield (remove the two allen screws and the two hinge pins), then remove the 4 allen bolts securing the clamp ring to the upper gear housing. Then you will be able to withdraw the u-joint assembly together with the gear and the two yokes. Afterwards, you just have to remove the allen bolt and the washer securing the rearward yoke to the gear."

"I tryed removing the pivot pi

"I tryed removing the pivot pins even after soaking them with wd40 two of us could not brake it loose even with a hugh screwdriver and tapping it with a hammer. I'll soak them again and try later. We tryed using a prybar on the two studs with no luck, I feel like I'm running out options. any other ideas? Thanks Dave"

"When everything else fails, y

"When everything else fails, you only have one resource left: briefly applying heat with a cutting or propane torch. Be very careful if you decide to go that way. And once you manage to remove the pins or the studs, remove all the corrosion both from the studs/pins and the housing and coat them with Perfect Seal or similar before assembling the unit (apply also to the threads and mating surfaces). This will prevent situations like this one from reoccurring."

The above problems is one of t

The above problems is one of the reasons I usually recomend to remove - lubricate- reinstall the drive every year.

"I think they make a flat blad

"I think they make a flat blade that will fit my impact wrench,thats what I think I will try next. We new when we bought the boat it would need to have the u-joints replaced but did not figure we would run into the problems we ran into. Thats good advise to lubricate -reinstall each year.I think alot of boat owners are not to good about maintenance, thanks for the advise."

"One of my favourite sayings i

"One of my favourite sayings is: "If you think maintenance is expensive, then try the cost of neglect".
biggrin.gif
"

"If your hinge pins have slott

"If your hinge pins have slotted/threaded ends, rent a heavy duty slide hammer, screw the hammer into the end of the hinge pins using one of the allens screws that hold the hinge pins in the transome shield, lubricate the pin with penatrant, then slide hammer away. Works like a charm."

Back