Logo

Opinion on Sears outboards

skuntz01

Can I get some opinions on the

Can I get some opinions on these type of outboards?
Were they troublesome? Can I get parts?
Thanks
Sam

Good luck getting parts for th

Good luck getting parts for them...You may be able to get some parts from Sears if you have the part numbers

"I have owned several Sears ou

"I have owned several Sears outboards over the years (Early to mid 70s models), and wish I had better news for you. The small air cooled single cylinder's weren't too bad, but were not as reliable as a "name brand" outboard. They seemed to rattle themselves apart a bit more than an OMC or Mercury equivalent. Note they cost 1/2 the price though. Parts for the engine's on these can still be purchased at your local sears store and other places as well as they were made by Techumseh. I have had 3 9.9's from the late 70's, and all had problems with the electronic ignition's. I have searched recently for a replacement ignition for these motors, and they are no longer manufactured. Some people have had success converting them to a conventional ignition however. The 15 HP of the same era was identical and had the same problem.

From my list of Sears Gamefisher (and Eska's, which were identical) motors, I have one running 9.9 that I'm waiting for the ignition to blow in, and 2 spares with no ignition, and one running air cooled single, with 5 spares that may or may not be able to be fixed for a decent price. In defense of the single's, the running motor was purchased new in 1975 by my father, and still runs, the others were donated after they died on the previous owner.
By your post, it looks like you have a line on one. On the positive side, the chassis and drive train seem to be fine, and the motors are incredibly easy to work on if needed, especially the singles."

Several companies made motors for Sears. Some good, some terrible.. Let's start out with a model number so we know what we are talking about.

Ted Williams was a ball player, Sears used his name as a marketing hook. It is a single cylinder, air cooled…obvious by the cooling fins on the cylinder. There is a water pump in the leg that mixes water with the exhaust to cool it. the power head is by Tecumseh, parts are easily available, it’s a lawn mower engine. They are basically the same as Eska.
I have a 5.5 that my dad bought new, from Sears, around 1970.
call these guys for parts or questions.

Back