Logo

AQ125B impeller gasket does paper plate work

locorebob

"My impeller was stolen a few

"My impeller was stolen a few years by a good mechanic. He left the four fastners nestled on top of the brass pump cap within easy eye shot in the engine bay. In any case, the bait shop had an impeller but no gasket. The chessy mechanic on duty said you can use a paper plate and cut your own gasket. We fortunately found a foam type gasket and used it. No problems. Recently I found parts of the impeller in the heat exchanger basket. What was left of the impeller still worked. Next day I started the engine again and no water coming from exhaust. Closely monitored heat and once beyond 195 I shut it down. I removed impeller pump housing and found large veins of the impeller cloggin the exist port of the pump. I removed the impeller, Found an impeller in the glove box (Sierra brand) that was purchased new 5 or 6 years ago. Did not have a gasket so I pourchased flat stock fiber gasket material from local HW store. Cut gasket to fit and installed impeller. It does not pull water.
I removed copper tube from pump to heat exhanger and it is not cloged. I disconnected the rubber flex hose above the started that connects the other copper hose the the transom through pipe and with a pucket of water and small hose. started siphon and shoved hose into flex hose and the impeller was moving all that water through heat exhanger to exhaust no problem. I reconnected the flex hose and tighted all clamps still no pick up. I have the our driver in a large tub with water line 6 inches above pickup grid of outdrive. The water neck as replaced about 5 years ago and only has 5 or 6 hours it should be and appears to be golden. Same goes for the hose from water neck to transom. Out driver is not clogged although I did not try to backflush. Could the fiber gasket be leaking enough air to prevent water suction? This has be baffled. It was working fine at an impeller that had 50% of it;s flappers. I don't get it.
This is a 1984 bayliner with AQ125B and Penta outdrive. The impeller pump appears to be in satisfactory condition. I guess I could try this without a gasket, any thoughts on that?
I live in Tucson AZ so most rubber parts that sit for very long get dry rotted. The new old stock impeller hasn;t come apart or anything. Any clues on what could be wrong here?
Thanks, Bob"

"I doubt that the fiber gasket

"I doubt that the fiber gasket could be leaking so badly to allow air ingress. In any case, next time you use that type of gasket material, make sure you coat it with Permatex, perfect Seal, or even grease (water-based grease, if possible).

Regarding the hose connector, it should take you just a couple of minutes to loosen the hose clamp and remove the hose, just to make sure that the neck is in good condition. These things corrode regardless of the number of hours of usage if they are wet and then they dry out.

To check for leaks, one thing you may want to try is to take the boat out of the water, then cover the water intake grid in the outdrive with duct tape, then fill the raw water system through the strainer (you may want to consider removing the raw water pump impeller for this test). If the leak is large enough, you will see water coming through it. You may also have to plug the little drain hole at the bottom of the exhaust bellows while you conduct the test."

"Had someone on this board not

"Had someone on this board not long time ago with a similar problem, turned out to be the steering shaft in the drive leaking. Another aspect is the exhaust back pressure. Anything blocking the exhaust outlet?"

Back