Logo

Merc 30 running problems

toewsrus

"I have a 2001 merc 3.0L with

"I have a 2001 merc 3.0L with EST ign. This spring it got a new coil, dist cap, rotor, fuel filters, new belts, plugs, etc. I've run it a bunch without a problem.

Yesterday I ran out to do some fishing, 10 miles without a problem, the weather started getting rough and we started to head back, the engine started to loose power and then died. I got it started a couple of times with the same problem. After drifting for some time and calling for a tow, I tried it again and it started up. Not wanting to chance it, we just went back in at trolling speed. When I got to port we opened it up and at ran fine.

I took it out on the lake today to do some troubleshooting. It started fine and ran great, I tried hitting the big waves, all sorts of turns, no problem at all. My girls wanted to go swimming so with no problem to fix we did. Again the engine started fine and ran fine for about 5 min and then started to die. It idled fine for a little while without stalling. During this time I noticed a blowing (puffing) from the fuel pump vent, no fuel in the line but it is blowing and makeing a noise that usually isn't there.

I'm guessing fuel pump, is there something else I should be looking at first?"

Makes boating not so fun when

Makes boating not so fun when you have this sort of problem and your girls on board.

My first thought is that you may have water in the tank that is getting stirred up in rough water. Would also be interested in knowing if there is trash or water in the carb float bowl. Might also be fuel pump related.

Back