Logo

OMC 58 starter CW or CCW

S

swivel

Trying to find a starter form

Trying to find a starter form my 89 5.8 - looks like there are 2 versions -clockwise and counter clockwise - how do I know which one I need?

The problem is that the starter seems weak (new fully charged batt thinking that was the issue - new cables etc) and almost left me floating - gets weaker after warmed up - I pulled it out and it looks very rusty -

"Swivel,

There is a little

"Swivel,

There is a little diagram on the middle of this page that might you help detirmine if your engine standard or reverse rotation."

"Thanks - problem is I can&#39

"Thanks - problem is I can't run the engine - need a starter
wink.gif
to see which way it turns - Is the prop a good way to check - does it rotate same as engine? Or is there a way to check rotation without a starter?"

"cw if fwd. mounted. ccw if re

"cw if fwd. mounted. ccw if rear mounted. see arcomarine.com inboard starters, tech tips."

Well...every place I've lo

Well...every place I've looked at only shows one PN for your starter 984628 and if you go that link that Andrew showed on the next page you will see the Sierra replacement for that PN. Why can't you have the original rebuilt?

I did find a rebuilt starter i

I did find a rebuilt starter in town($180) - seems to have fixed the hard starting issue. Thanks for the help guys

I'm having the same proble

I'm having the same problem with the starter cranking slower or not at all with the engine hot. Would have to pull the exhaust manifold on my boat to even get to the starter. I just want to verify if in fact the starter solved the slow crank while warm problem.

Back