Logo

Short Shaft vs Long Shaft

optsyeagle

Regular Contributor
I was wondering what the main

I was wondering what the main benefit is of having a longer shaft on an outboard motor. Specifically for aluminum fishing boats. On the surface it would seem to me that the short shaft would be better since one could navigate shallower waters with it but perhaps the long shaft has other benefits. Just curious.

Some boats have higher transom

Some boats have higher transoms which require a longer shaft to get the prop in the water. (very simple answer)

"The cavitation plate which is

"The cavitation plate which is just above the propeller must be approximately 3/4" below the keel (bottom of the boat) at the center line of the transom, no lower than 1"."

"Do not quite agree with You i

"Do not quite agree with You in this matter , Joe.
I would say that the plate should be from 0 to 1,5" above the bottom depending on the V angle of the boat. Flat bottom = 0, 25 degr V = 1-1,5" above. If the engine is mountet too low You run the risk of getting a lot of spray behind the boat. Other factores influencing the hight is type of propeller (rake, SST, cupping) and not to forget the boat speed.
In general, as high as possible without loosing grip and getting prop ventilation."

PS: the above goes in general

PS: the above goes in general for throug hub exhaust engines. Engines with exhaust in the cavitation plate might be rather noisy if lifted too high.

the cav should always be atlea

the cav should always be atleast .5 inches - 2 inches below the lowest part of the transom

Back