Logo

Spark Plug Question

fishhawk

I'm a novice to Marine eng

I'm a novice to Marine engines but not with automotive applications. Yesterday I tried to pull the plugs on my 93 5.0 LX and found that the 5/8" spark plug socket would not clear the cylinder head enough to allow the socket to seat with the plug. Is there a special socket to allow it to go all the way down on the plug on a marine cylinder head? Access to the plugs is not a problem.

"Apperantly someone has put af

"Apperantly someone has put aftermarket manifolds and riser on the engine and used a longer plug, NGK champion and autolight are about 1/4 in too long. I get this all the time. On some I've had to break off the plug and us a short socket. Replace them with AC Delco MR43T plugs or the correct MARINE AC delco plug (I'm pretty sure MR43T) and it should take care if this problem."

"Got em in. Had to force the s

"Got em in. Had to force the socket on with a little tap from the butt end of a screw driver. (Its a Chevy, when all else fails ..... hit it) The fun was then getting the socket off the new plug once it was installed. Needle nosed locking pliers worked, but very frustrating.
Also, I used AC Delco automotive plugs. R44T."

Back