Logo

1961 evinrude 40 hp wonbt start HHHEEELLLPPP

smokinone

got on the lake todat after ma

got on the lake todat after major restore . ran great for the first 2 1/2 hrs . comming back into the channel for the harbour .hit anther boats wake and took on a little bit of water . right then the engine quit on us . it wouldn't start .i'm sure it was just coincidence . decided to check the gas situation .it was empty except for a little bit on the bottom . i guess it wouldn't pick it up . tied off to the pier and went for a 20 min walk to get some . got back to the boat and mixed it with aprox .200mils of oil. had about 2 1/2 gallons of gas 87 octane . hooked up my line and primed until bulb was hard . tried to crank it over but it wouldn't start for me .turning ity over and over but no start left it for a couple of minutes then tried again . i could get it to start and run but not for more than 10 seconds at a time . i removed the hood to see if i could guess what was wrong . i noticed that when i finished cranking it over that gas would be pissing out of the carb right by the choke .when i held the choke in it did not piss gas . it would only start after i held the choke in and as i say wouldn't run for more than 10 seconds at a time . a totaly embarasing situation for the first time out . what did i do wrong ? too much oil ? did i flood it ? what did i do wrong ? it ran great in all tests and the first couple of hours . PLEASE HELP .

Back