Logo

Evinrude is a no start

charlieb

"I have an Evinrude 140 (1

"I have an Evinrude 140 (140cx) which i believe is a 1993 vintage. i have no spark on all plugs. Did some trouble shooting and found an open between the charge coil output. The book says approx 400 ohms for a 10 amp system. I need a sanity check. does the charge coil output only effect the charging system or does it supply voltage to generate a spark through the power pack. i have a spare engine that measures the proper ohms for the charge coil output plug, but before i start tearing down two engines, i would love some advice from the experts. also any suggestions on how to keep the flywheel from moving while i remove the anchor nut???"

"The stator is a two fold purp

"The stator is a two fold purpose unit.

The Yellow wires connect internally to the stator to a series of coils whose purpose is to generate AC voltage to the rectifier. The rectifier then converts the AC voltage to DC voltage and this is what charges the battery.

The (usually) Brown and Brown/Yellow (or some Brown/Orange) supply approximately 300 AC volts to a capacitor within the powerpack which is required to enerhize the ignition system.

Bottom line.... pertaining to the ignition, the Brown and Brown/Yellow wires leading from the stator are the ones of interest to you.

Keeping the flywheel from moving? At any automotive parts type store, purchase a tool that auto mechanics use to turn the flywheel when installing a manual clutch pressure plate."

"Thank You Joe Reeves Thi

"Thank You Joe Reeves This afternoon i pulled the flywheel and stator. I hoped the open was in the leads, but not so lucky. the inner coil was open. Replaced the coil put things back together, crossed my finger, held my breath until i heard the engine kick over. thanks for the info. The help was appreciated."

Back