Logo

Thrust washer replacement

rich808

"Hi. I have a 2001 Mercruiser

"Hi. I have a 2001 Mercruiser 4.3l 190hp motor. I am in the process of replacing the the propeller and hub assembly. I removed the nut, propeller and washer. I am now tring to remove the thrust washer but, it appears to be stuck to the shaft. Is there any special tool that is needed to remove the thrust washer or do I just need to keep pulling at it until it comes off? Also when it is replaced can I use a general marine grease to lube it (the same type I would use to lube my trailer wheels. The lube says marine grade but, not sure if I should have a special grease to lube the hub and shaft.

Thank you,
Rich"

The best lube I have found is

The best lube I have found is called anti-sieze. I never had a problem using that. You can get it at any parts store. Try soaking the washer with a good penetrating oil like PB Blaster.

"just give it a rap. it'll

"just give it a rap. it'll come off. don't recommend anti- sieze in salt water, fresh water O.K. spline grease is recommended, but any will work fine. remove, and clean/grease yearly."

"Rich, I never saw one get stu

"Rich, I never saw one get stuck like that. usually the props get stuck onto the prop shaft. Are you sure it is the thrust washer?"

Back