Logo

b94 volvo penta 43 stalling

jazharp

"I have a '94 Glastron SSV

"I have a '94 Glastron SSV195 w/ a Volvo Penta 4.3 motor (430B). I can get it to idle for a minute or so before it dies - but the bigger problem seems to be that when I give it even a little more gas (than idle), it will die immediately after a slight rev. It re-starts right away every time. Any thoughts - I'd sure be grateful - been at this for some time now.

I drained the tank - replaced fuel
rebuilt the carb (holley 2bbl)
new fuel pump (electronic)
new fuel filter
new coil
new distributer cap/ rotor
new wires and plugs
new alternator
opened gas cap
adjusted timing (advanced, retarded)

All on the advice of my local marine shop - but still dies when I give it throttle. Any thing I haven't thought of? Just read that maybe the plugs are the wrong kind? Sound right? Thanks in advance for all your time in reading this - and thanks for being such a help and support to us fellow boaters. I've been checking out this forum for a while - You guys are great!

Bart"

"A bit far fetched, but have y

"A bit far fetched, but have you checked for any vacuum leaks? Should not have that dramatic effect (die immediately) but worth trying.

Otherwise it sounds like a fule delivery issue, it does not get enough fuel when revving up. But you have looked at possibly components, and I assume corrected anything out of order.

Could it be a wire somewhere that shorts out, or makes bad contact when engine is revving up (moving) a bit?"

"Providing Your acc pump works

"Providing Your acc pump works, this symptom indicates lack of vacum in the intake manifold. Do a compression test. An indication may even be given by spark plug color/condition. Not be surprised if You find one 'low' cylinder and a 'mushroom' intake valve on cyl 2 or 4."

"I will definitely check/ do a

"I will definitely check/ do a compression test - thanks for the idea. Thanks Per-Ola and Morten! What would cause such a problem?

from Morten - "Not be surprised if You find one 'low' cylinder and a 'mushroom' intake valve on cyl 2 or 4." Does this mean a low compression reading on a cylinder and an overly high one on another? And why the guess on cyl 2 or 4?

Again, thanks for the help! If anyone else has other thoughts, I'd still like to hear 'em 'til I can get the compression test done.

Thanks,
Bart"

"You may have a 'wrong&#39

"You may have a 'wrong' flow direction throught the venturi of the carb caused by compression blowing through the intake valve. If 1,3,2,6 is affected the engine gets rather unbalanced, but very often does not affect that much as if it is the center valves the closest to the carb. I am not ruling out a leaking manifold gasket or other leak in the intake system, but if You find a noticable lower pressure in one or more cylinder, I would recomend the heads to be removed and checked. However as I said, this problem may even very often 'be read' out of the plugs. If You ever have had a popping from the carb, normally when the problem started, this is probably the cause."

Thank you Morten! I wish I ha

Thank you Morten! I wish I had time this weekend - I'm on it Tuesday and will let you know. Yau da man!

Holley carbs have a small plas

Holley carbs have a small plastic accelerator cam on the linkage. A lot of times this gets worn out and will not squirt the fuel well enough. this can also be adjusted. It is often overlooked when rebuilding a Holley. It's worth a try.

As a follow up - seems it was

As a follow up - seems it was a faulty relay to the fuel pump... Thanks everyone for helping!!!

Great that you solved it. A sm

Great that you solved it. A small electrical gremlin with a big impact. We almost asked you to lift the top...

"Thanks Per-Ola!
Yeah, that p

"Thanks Per-Ola!
Yeah, that piece was such a tiny, little pain in my @&#^%$!! It's always the small thing isn't it?

Took the boat out today, blew the seal in the outdrive... globules of white oil floating to the surface... I guess it's not always the small things. I'm lettin' the shop handle this one from the get go.

BTW if any of the readers out there are in SoCal - particularly in the Castaic area (north Los Angeles) - "Lakeside Marine" is great! Fast, knowledgable, and good guys. "Castaic Boat and Marine" has been a thorn in my side - wrong parts, bad advice, not fixing problems... Just wanted to give "Lakeside" their due.

Thanks again Per-Ola!

Bart"

Back