Logo

Water leaking in at transom plate

drumlo

I just repowered my 1976 seara

I just repowered my 1976 searay and on the 4th trip out decided to see why the pumps ran so often.I looked behind the engine and at the bottom of the transom plate water was coming in pretty good . This happens when the boat isn't even running. I took the drive off and noticed water in the u-joint bellow but all the bellows look good and the clamps are good and tight.I don't want to work on the wrong thing so I'm looking for input before I waste any more time or money.

When the bellows were installe

When the bellows were installed was bellows sealer used on the inside of the ends?

I've never touched the bel

I've never touched the bellows so I wouldn't know. I'm not sure if it leaked much before I put the new engine in so I'm kind of at the beginning of the mess. I just know that I could be using the boat if it didn't leak and I'd like to get it fixed!Thanks!

"If there is water in the driv

"If there is water in the drive bellows, I would replace it. You may have gimble bearing problems as well now that there has been water in there. Takes a special tool to replace the drive bellows, btw."

"Roger it is best to service t

"Roger it is best to service the U joint and shift cable bellows if you have any doubt of their condition.
An inspection of the gimble bearing should be made at the same time and if there is any doubt about the bearing it also should be replaced.

Here is the address of a good source of parts at reasonable prices amarket.com.
They sell a complete kit for servicing the gimble ring area for $90.00 that has all three bellows, clamps and the gimble bearing. (PN/ 1M1000E) There is also a lower shift cable kit fo $50.00 but it has the shift bellows so you would end up with an extra shift bellows.(PN/1M723)
The lower shift cable is another part that should be replaced if you do not know when it was changed last.
You can poke around their site and find what you need it's a very easy site to find things.

Again if you have any doubt about these parts it's best to just replace them all and then you know everything is in good condition.

The people at Aftermarket will even work with you to get the job done if you have a problem.

I mean they will get on the phone and walk you through it.
I do not know of any parts seller that would do this and it's free.

You will need some tools but you can rent them from aftermarket.

On another note did you align the engine with the gimble bearing when you installed the engine?
This must be done and an alignment bar must be used so it is correct.
Do not use an input shaft from a drive for the alignment. If you do the alignment will be off."

Thankyou Charli and dave that

Thankyou Charli and dave that is good advice . I believe that a full replacement will be in order.As an after thought if it does still take on water would I be looking at the transom plate and gimbal?

Back